Tips/Advice on making the most of our trip down to the CMP in Talladega?

SnowflakeGunAddict

Established Member
Nov 30, 2020
Birmingham
Brother and I are planning to make a first time trip down to the CMP in Talladega in the next couple of weeks. We got lucky and bought a bunch of ammo a couple years ago and just by happenstance stopped shooting due to life but have recently gotten back into it.

Want to go ahead and spend some of our ammo stock while the ranges aren't packed anymore. Any tips or advice from those of you who have been down there to make the best use of our time?

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
What do you want to do?

I have not shot on their pistol range, but I have been on the 100 yard rifle W/ electronic targets and then the 200/300/600 yard W/ electronic targets

I have shot the unknown distance steels range
I have also shot their sporting clays range.

If you plan on doing the rifle ranges, make damn sure your equipment can shoot a good group at 100 yards.!!

You have to qualify at 100 before you can move on to 200
"Qualifying" is looser than 1 MOA, maybe 1.5-2 MOA at most

Then you qualify on 200 to move to 300, then qualify on 300 to move to 600

Show you are competent with your equipment your first few minutes in front of each range officer and you will enjoy your time there much better. They watch people pretty close until they see you know what you are doing

Also make sure you have gun cases and chamber flags for each gun. You can buy the chamber flags when you check in if you don't have any, they are cheap, just make sure each gun you pull out of the case when on the range has a chamber flag in it already.

The electronic targets are a little annoying if you are trying to shoot groups, its hard to say if you have the crosshairs in the same exact place with every shot as the center of the target is solid black, no crosshairs to line up on. I was using the lower marks on my reticle to line up with the edge of the target (or where the black center meets the white) in hopes of having the crosshairs in the same place in the center black dot each shot

1615012210845.png

I have met nothing but great helpful people there.

If you are staying all day, pack a lunch.