Turkey Season

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Any turkey hunters out there? Turkey season just opened up yesterday for a large chunk of the state. Anyone gone out yet? Had any luck? I went this morning and heard one gobble behind me at about 6:30 but wasn't able to call him in.

Last edited:

Glassman256

Established Member
Jul 27, 2020
Sylacauga Alabama
Any turkey hunters out there? Turkey season just opened up yesterday for a large chunk of the state. Anyone gone out yet? Had any luck? I went this morning and heard one gobble behind me at about 6:30 but wasn't able to call him in.
Good luck first day had 7 gobbling nothing but hens came in..second time had 3 bearded hens ,3 real hens a Jake and ole big boy came in but wanted to go up another holler, 3 time nothing was playing that day,..not gona quit,,going again soon

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Good luck first day had 7 gobbling nothing but hens came in..second time had 3 bearded hens ,3 real hens a Jake and ole big boy came in but wanted to go up another holler, 3 time nothing was playing that day,..not gona quit,,going again soon
Awesome, glad you saw some! I had one gobbling his head off at about a quarter till 6 yesterday morning that I talked to for about 30-45 minutes but he never would come to me. I tried going to him but couldn't find him, and by about 7:45 he'd stopped gobbling altogether.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
I've never done any turkey hunting or really much of any bird hunting. Whats the best way to get started?
I just got into it myself, but basically you just need a shotgun with some appropriate shot (#5 and #4 are the commonly used ones for 12 gauge), some good camo that covers you head to toe (turkeys have really good eyesight being birds and all), and a good turkey call (box calls are good to start with, slate/glass calls have the best range of use but take time to master, and mouth calls let you call hands-free but I personally don't like they way they feel when you use them). Go out early in the morning and see if you can hear some gobbling and try to head in their direction then find a spot to sit where you can stay hidden but get a good shot and then try to call them to you. When (if) you see one, aim for his head when he's not strutting. Overall I find it tougher than deer hunting but it's more interactive and it's really fun to talk to one even if you don't end up seeing him.

Hunter10139

Established Member
May 9, 2022
Hazel Green
Thanks for the tips. I've been thinking about trying for a while but, funnily enough, I don't have a shotgun. I'm planning on buying a budget shotgun soon, probably a maverick 88 with a 28 inch barrel. Hopefully that will let me try out pretty much any bird hunting., including turkeys.

dc2010

Established Member
Apr 21, 2022
woodstock
Thanks for the tips. I've been thinking about trying for a while but, funnily enough, I don't have a shotgun. I'm planning on buying a budget shotgun soon, probably a maverick 88 with a 28 inch barrel. Hopefully that will let me try out pretty much any bird hunting., including turkeys.
maverick 88 is one of the best all around shotguns i dont care what anyone elses opinion is on it. i wish i had never sold my maverick 88 20 ga. it would outshoot my benelli nova any day on a bird hunt. killed my limit of squirrels 1 day stalk hunting withing 30 minutes with it.