What’s the Handgun (or other arm) That You’ve Tried Repeatedly to Embrace (OP Update re: Browning Hi Power on page 2)

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I suppose this could have gone in the Rifle / Long Guns subforum but, since it’s a handgun I’ve got in mind, we’ll start here.

I really like the looks of the fabled Browning Hi Power, or P-35. The elegant lines, the history, all of it looks and sounds so good to me.

One of the most prolific guns across the globe, it served on both sides in the European Theater of Operations in WW2 and was the issue handgun of numerous militaries throughout the Free World (particularly amongst Commonweath nations) for decades following. Even our own FBI’s Hostage Rescue Team deployed a version tweaked by Novak’s, Inc. for a time. Most recently, of course, Springfield Armory has seen fit to introduce its own branding of the design as the SA-35.

All of these things and more attract me to the Hi Power.

I’ve had four of them over the years. Four.

And none of them “stuck” with me.

It’s one of those guns that, despite my fondness for it, just does not seem to “work” for me for whatever reason. It seems to not fill my hand properly or something. I really can’t put my finger on it. I can’t seem to shoot them worth a flip. My most recent example, a gun that had benefited from the attention of a noted customer house…when even THAT didn’t “get it” for me, I decided it was time to cut bait and run haha…

…now…once this SA-35 thing gets up and running more smoothly…

…we shall see. Haha…

Obligatory Hi Power shot below. (And, edited to add: I found a post of mine from five years ago opining on this very gun…it would appear that I did NOT learn haha…)

(Further edited to add even more: See page 2 for a BHP update!)

So…have you had something like this happen to you gun-wise? Details, details, please…:)

1641244168371.jpeg

Last edited:

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
For me it's not any particular gun but anything in .44 magnum; I do not like firing that round. I can handle the recoil but it's obnoxiously snappy even in long guns and isn't really worth dealing with to me as anything you'd shoot with it here would be just as dead from a .357 which is a lot more tolerable.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
@Dfalt I’m glad to see I’m not the only one re: .44 Magnum!

I have only shot a little bit of .44 Special and enjoyed it but .44 Magnum is more than I’m willing to deal with. I’m also a fan of .357 Magnum and its cousin .38 Special!

bamabum

Staff member
Oct 19, 2020
Wedowee
Personally, I am a "Sigaholic", with particular fondness for the discontinued P224 and P229C (smaller, compact P229 that shares the same upper/slide assembly with the P224) models. My current EDC is primarily a P229C in 9mm with a second, less carried P229C in 357 Sig. I would be just as comfortable in grabbing one of my P224 models as a substitute, if required. I also keep enough spare parts to ensure both the P224s and P229Cs remain running for another 50+ years. So, to summarize, not only did I try to embrace these two models, my collection would indicate that I have successfully embraced both!

BigWaveDave

Established Member
Oct 25, 2020
Calera, AL
Norinco - SKS
#1 paid $75 for a Vietnam War bring back with a cool story behind it. Traded for a shitty AR15 in 1984. That AR probably became a months rent at some point.
#2 got it as a gift. Traded for Remi 700 30-06 with bedded barrel that hits hard where you aim it. Still have the Remi.
#3 paid $350 6 months ago. Still have it.
Pissed I got rid of the first two.

Stumpy

Established Member
Jun 26, 2020
Cropwell, AL
Glock! I have a G26 but have owned just about every 40 or 9mm model. I have small hands and short fingers and properly gripping a double stack 9,40, or 45 isn't really possible for me. Barely with the Baby Glock. Sure they are reliable and durable but if you can't really get a good grip on a pistol, how can you love it?

Mugi-wara

Established Member
Jan 3, 2022
NW Bama
The 1911. I have had a few through the years, but I only regret letting my first one go. It was a war era Colt upper on an aftermarket frame. It rattled and sounded like it could fall apart at any minute, but it would shoot anything I put through it.

Stupid me (at the time) thought I needed one that looked nicer so I sold it and bought a Kimber.... that was a mistake.

bronicabill

Established Member
May 26, 2019
Madison, AL
HK USP40. Have owned three of them now and was forced to sell them off for financial reasons as I still preferred my Sigs.

However, I have wanted to kick my own arse within a few weeks of letting them go, and am now wanting another one... only prices are "through the roof" on every one I've seen at Larry's in the past year or so!

Davyalabama

Established Member
Jan 7, 2022
Pike Road
I have not bought a USP, but the prices people want for them are up there. I carry a p2000sk, but I would like a USP tactical in 9 for playing.

theothermikeg

Established Member
Jan 19, 2022
Birmingham
For me it's not any particular gun but anything in .44 magnum; I do not like firing that round. I can handle the recoil but it's obnoxiously snappy even in long guns and isn't really worth dealing with to me as anything you'd shoot with it here would be just as dead from a .357 which is a lot more tolerable.
Same same. I bought a 629 at the Bessemer gun show years ago meaning to eventually load for it. Shot it a few times then sold it for a loss.

madmyk

Established Member
Jan 11, 2021
Tuscaloosa, AL
1911 (i know) I have owned a few and still have a couple - you just must have a 1911.
For me, the issue is the grip angle. While it is supposed to be "perfect", the shape of my hands just doesn't allow it to work right.
I like the platform, the history, and all - I just can't be as accurate as one should be able to be with one. It simply doesn't fit.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Totally hear you @madmyk - if it won’t work it just won’t. I’m a huge 1911 fan but have tried (and failed repeatedly) to get on-board with its close-cousin, the fabled Browning Hi Power - it just won’t fit my hand properly for some reason.

I still love the looks of a Hi Power, just from a distance now haha…

(Edited to add: shall I repeat myself, or shall I simply repeat myself? LOL - my BHP tale is what I started this thread off with haha…)

Frank Thompson

Veteran Army & Air Force
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2017
Auburn, Al
I suppose this could have gone in the Rifle / Long Guns subforum but, since it’s a handgun I’ve got in mind, we’ll start here.

I really like the looks of the fabled Browning Hi Power, or P-35. The elegant lines, the history, all of it looks and sounds so good to me.

One of the most prolific guns across the globe, it served on both sides in the European Theater of Operations in WW2 and was the issue handgun of numerous militaries throughout the Free World (particularly amongst Commonweath nations) for decades following. Even our own FBI’s Hostage Rescue Team deployed a version tweaked by Novak’s, Inc. for a time. Most recently, of course, Springfield Armory has seen fit to introduce its own branding of the design as the SA-35.

It’s one of those guns that, despite my fondness for it, just does not seem to “work” for me for whatever reason. It seems to not fill my hand properly or something. I really can’t put my finger on it. I can’t seem to shoot them worth a flip. My most recent example, a gun that had benefited from the attention of a noted customer house…when even THAT didn’t “get it” for me, I decided it was time to cut bait and run haha…

…we shall see. Haha…

Obligatory Hi Power shot below. (And, edited to add: I found a post of mine from five years ago opining on this very gun…it would appear that I did NOT learn haha…)

So…have you had something like this happen to you gun-wise? Details, details, please…:)

View attachment 4330
I have had the same experience with a
Hi Power, 40SW, made by FN In Belgium & assembled in Belgium. Just to say it’s not a “copy”. I’ve even had a 9mm that had Nazi markings on it-in proper places—-I no longer own either one !
I too, just did not like the Fit or accuracy of either pistol. Like so many “things” in life,,sometimes you just don’t Match Up and that’s fine by me !! But, M-35, looks interesting.lol

Frank Thompson

Veteran Army & Air Force
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2017
Auburn, Al
Striker Fired Pistols l could not shoot accurately! Hated that Snap as it broke!
In recent yrs I’ve found that Firearm Mfg’s have FINALLY started making pistols that you didn’t immediately start wanting to replace the Triggers? Sig M17, XDM Elite & Smith Wesson 2.0 have smooth triggers - to me!

tybeeryus

Established Member
Mar 22, 2020
Northport, AL

…we shall see. Haha…

View attachment 4330
I'm with you. I've had 3 or 4 of them myself over the years and I always end up trading them off. They're just so easy to trade and they bring a premium price.

madmyk

Established Member
Jan 11, 2021
Tuscaloosa, AL
Under the heading of other... the AR7.
I had one of the Armalite's and a Henry. The Henry was more reliable across a wider variety of ammo but was still too picky.
Hindsight 20/20 and all, I should have kept them and made them reliable, but didn't. I may pick up another Henry if prices every get back to sane.

Frank Thompson

Veteran Army & Air Force
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2017
Auburn, Al
@Dfalt I’m glad to see I’m not the only one re: .44 Magnum!

I have only shot a little bit of .44 Special and enjoyed it but .44 Magnum is more than I’m willing to deal with. I’m also a fan of .357 Magnum and its cousin .38 Special!
I’ll have to reply in Defense of
the .44 magnum. I enjoy shooting the round , knowing it’s going to Rock & Roll! And, l don’t mind the recoil.
I have owned several handguns and one brand , in Rifle, Marlin JM. It is a
Excellent round, for it’s intended use!
The first time I shot the .44 magnum, I was at a P.D. outdoor firing range. When I shot that first round,!! I felt the concussion - from the ground UP! Ha!!
I laughed and said, “THIS is a GUN!”
I prefer Ruger RedHawk & Hogue Grips.

Last edited: