What are you deer hunting with? Any success?

abailey362

Established Member
Mar 31, 2016
North Madison County
Curious what everyone is deer hunting with.

I hunt an area with no long range visibility and am using a .300 blk 10.5" SBR right now. Just picked up a new .30 cal can that i'm hoping to break in over Christmas vacation as long as it won't interfere with my range of motion in my stands.

Using Remington Hog Hammer ammo, which is the best .300 blk ammo that i've seen for hunting on paper at least.

Haven't had any luck yet this season. Saw a couple during bow season, but they were at a bad angle for the crossbow and never came out where i could get a shot on.

bassdaddy00

Established Member
Dec 15, 2016
Atmore
Depends. When the dogs are running I use a Benelli Vinci loaded with 3 inch buckshot. Still hunting, I use a Remington 710 in 7mm Rem Mag shooting Barnes 140 Gr TTXS handloads topped off with a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40.

RZR570

Established Member
Dec 14, 2016
All over
Curious what everyone is deer hunting with.

I hunt an area with no long range visibility and am using a .300 blk 10.5" SBR right now. Just picked up a new .30 cal can that i'm hoping to break in over Christmas vacation as long as it won't interfere with my range of motion in my stands.

Using Remington Hog Hammer ammo, which is the best .300 blk ammo that i've seen for hunting on paper at least.

Haven't had any luck yet this season. Saw a couple during bow season, but they were at a bad angle for the crossbow and never came out where i could get a shot on.
Are you shooting subs?

DixieReb

Established Member
Jan 31, 2021
Andalusia AL
When I pistol hunt, I’m either carrying a Thompson Contender in 35 REM or a Thompson Encore in 7mm-08, and I have a 223 Contender I use to shoot coyotes and bobcats I’ll sometimes carry. This season I’ve also been toting a Ruger super Blackhawk in 44 mag with 10.5” barrel, I’ve yet to shoot a deer with it though as I just bought it before deer season came in. I handgun hunt mostly in the mornings as pistol scopes just aren’t bright enough for me at last light of the day. My go to deer rifle calibers over the years has been 7 mag, 30-06, 243, 270, 257 Robert’s, 7mm-08, 45-70, 44 mag, 30-30, 300 savage, 8mm, 12 gauge slug. Just depends on what location I’m going to hunt at and is it a rainy day for me to decide what I’m going to carry on any given day. About three weeks back I bought a Ruger ranch hand rifle with 16” barrel in the 350 Legend and I’ve been toting it lately, I love this 350 Legend so much now I went and bought a Savage rifle with 18” barrel also in the 350 Legend. Years ago I got in to shooting old military rifles and killed several deer over the years with 303 British, 7x57, 8x57, 7.62x39, 7.62x54, and 30-40 Krag. I’ve got a bad addiction......and I’ve got a 50-70 govt too but can’t afford cartridges for it, lol...