What do y’all think of Armslist?

Bwhite224

Established Member
Dec 5, 2021
Hoover, AL
Hello everyone,
New member here. Would anyone be willing to share their experience selling guns on armslist?

Wondering how much interest it would generate now that you need a login to post and see pricing. Also, wondering how many of the people on there are scammers.

I used to trade guns and ammo all the time on Facebook but it’s been a while. I’m not sure the best way to go about it now.

ethanperrylankford

Established Member
Mar 28, 2021
Monroe County
I haven't used armslist since they went to paid memberships and on top of that it seemed to have a lot of sketchy sales anyway. This forum doesn't seem to have near the volume of listings but you don't have to worry about getting a run around from someone either. Kind of a quality over quantity thing if you ask me. Also there is so much more info and discussion on here other than just the buy/sell side.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
I haven't used armslist since they went to paid memberships and on top of that it seemed to have a lot of sketchy sales anyway. This forum doesn't seem to have near the volume of listings but you don't have to worry about getting a run around from someone either. Kind of a quality over quantity thing if you ask me. Also there is so much more info and discussion on here other than just the buy/sell side.
thanks for your kind words and I am working on getting more members everyday. Invite people you run into outside of the forum. I’ve been tryin to get a banner in some ranges and stuff.

Bwhite224

Established Member
Dec 5, 2021
Hoover, AL
Thanks for the feedback Ethan. Yes I definitely plan to use this forum for buying and selling too. Just was wondering if armslist would be good in addition to that. I’ll probably just start here with selling some things and add other channels if needed. Definitely would prefer to start with a somewhat vetted group like this though.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Armslist was gaining popularity after Facebook shut down gun groups. Armslist also does not have any verification or checks I try my best to make sure everyone that joins and wants to sell is at least in Alabama or there are a few members from Georgia and other states but I make contact with them as to why and how /what they can sell.

After a while, they went full paid and algunforum started growing quicker due to that fact, some people trade on mewe but I find the platform a junk hole and hate the interface.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I fondly recall those days of the buying / selling groups on FB. There was a dedicated Glocks of Alabama group that, in addition to sales, just had some good “non-sale” discussions, etc. I think I still have a nice golf shirt with their logo on it haha…

That said, it’s nice to have a dedicated forum like this one for us Alabamians.

Mugi-wara

Established Member
Jan 3, 2022
NW Bama
Armslist has always had scammers. I had a "guy from PA" try to buy a rifle from me one time. He never would send any contact information for his supposed FFL dealer. Scammer went so far as to send me a second party check with extra funds available, hoping I would send back a small portion and wait for the dealers information....

I took all the emails and the check to my local sheriffs office. I have no idea if they sent it any further or not. Anyway, long story short, be wary of anyone online who can not be reached other than through email, and who always has a reason why they can not meet, talk, etc.

One other thing, I almost forgot to add, I no longer use Armslist since they went the paid route.

jMarine

Established Member
Feb 5, 2022
Pelham
It seems like most of the other gun forums require some sort of paid membership in order to post or sell things. I personally think it’s a little absurd. I guess they feel the need to capitalize on facilitating the sale via their platform.