What precautions?

holographicgt

Established Member
Mar 7, 2023
Sylacauga
When purchasing a used firearm, what precautions do you take? How do you make sure it's not a stolen firearm?

JT300

Smooth Brain in Alabama only local preferred
Jun 2, 2022
Calera AL
@Bypass and @bamabum can explain it in a much better way than my bad brain but Bill of sale, Current CCW, I like to have a someone i can trust with me, avoid dark time deals and people that are flip floppy on price/time, Try to make sure they are indeed an Alabama resident, you can go to an FFL and do a transfer in person, double check area codes and keep details of the deal in text etc. not just a phone call, people who seem to be way to exited to drop everything to buy/trade RIGHT NOW for something somewhat common. I know this doesn't exactly answer your question more of advice sorry.

also avoid Shannon Brittle short red hair Big ears i think he sold some stolen stuff before hope this is some help to you

Beastmaker

Established Member
Nov 27, 2022
Tuscaloosa
I heard if you can get the S/N from the seller you could call the police department and they can run the number and check and ask to meet in the local PD parking lot, if it's stolen they wouldn't want to meet there. I usually stalk their FB page and see what kinda of person they are.

JT300

Jun 2, 2022
Calera AL
If you can get the S/N from the seller you could call the police department and they can run the number and check and ask to meet in the local PD parking lot, if it's stolen they wouldn't want to meet there. I usually stalk their FB page and see what kinda of person they are.
now that good advice if they are scared of the PD lot id pass for sure

Beastmaker

Established Member
Nov 27, 2022
Tuscaloosa
@Bypass and @bamabum can explain it in a much better way than my bad brain but Bill of sale, Current CCW, I like to have a someone i can trust with me, avoid dark time deals and people that are flip floppy on price/time, Try to make sure they are indeed an Alabama resident, you can go to an FFL and do a transfer in person, double check area codes and keep details of the deal in text etc. not just a phone call, people who seem to be way to exited to drop everything to buy/trade RIGHT NOW for something somewhat common. I know this doesn't exactly answer your question more of advice sorry.

also avoid Shannon Brittle short red hair Big ears i think he sold some stolen stuff before hope this is some help to you
As I was writing mine your comment popped up and thought that's good stuff there. Mentioned things I wouldn't even think of.

JT300

Jun 2, 2022
Calera AL
That does absolutely nothing to protect you (the buyer). An FFL can't do a serial number check and if you (the buyer) aren't a prohibited person, you are just incurring extra cost for no benefit.
Thanks learn something new every day looks like i fibbed too

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Definitely use the feedback process here for members and review their postings. I also like meeting near a PD location from a safety standpoint. Many locales have a designated area for this purpose and I would only meet in daylight hours. Oneonta has an area I have used several times. I’m fortunate to be on the large side so that helps with intimidation but there are crazy people out there.

The website above is a good idea but I’m not sure how comprehensive it may be. Definitely worth a check though.

As a buyer in a private transaction I’m not a fan of using an FFL due to the creation of a record of the sale at the FFL/ATF. I just don’t trust what happens with these records. If it was a great deal on a special firearm then I would probably agree at the sellers cost. I’m fine with a private bill of sale and ID checks (Al residents only for both parties). I also think a concealed carry permit is helpful although that is becoming a less common item now with constitutional carry in over half the states.

Last edited:

Lordmk7

Established Member
Mar 17, 2022
Hueytown
Definitely use the feedback process here for members and review their postings. I also like meeting near a PD location from a safety standpoint. Many locales have a designated area for this purpose and I would only meet in daylight hours. Oneonta has an area I have used several times. I’m fortunate to be on the large side so that helps with intimidation but there are crazy people out there.

The website above is a good idea but I’m not sure how comprehensive it may be. Definitely worth a check though.

As a buyer in a private transaction I’m not a fan of using an FFL due to the creation of a record of the sale at the FFL/ATF. I just don’t trust what happens with these records. If it was a great deal on a special firearm then I would probably agree at the sellers cost. I’m fine with a private bill of sale and ID checks (Al residents only for both parties). I also think a concealed carry permit is helpful although that is becoming a less common item now with constitutional carry in over half the states.
Could not have said it better sir.