Where’s the Strangest Place you ever purchased a firearm?

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
I’ll go first. At a funeral of a work colleague / friend. Great guy into really neat things but cancer took him at a young age. During the gathering after the funeral I started talking to a guy and the subject of cannons came up. I said I would love to buy a nice one. He replied he had a nice civil war style 3 lb version he would like to sale. After a little back and forth we agreed on a price. He went home to get it and we set that cannon off in the yard that evening to celebrate Bill’s life. I’m sure he was smiling ear to ear in heaven looking down on me making a deal to buy a cannon at his funeral.

Last edited:

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
May your friend rest in peace, sir, and it sounds like that cannon-shot was a fitting tribute.

That said, I’m just not sure anyone will be able to top this sale haha…we shall see.

texkev

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Feb 3, 2022
Texas
Now that is strange yet a nice memory. Nothing strange here, maybe a small shop located at the top of an ACE hardware store.

Lance

Established Member
Jun 6, 2021
Monroe County
Back in the early '80s, I bought my first handgun at a store in Chickasaw, Alabama, which had a name which would probably get it burned to the ground these days...

"Chickasaw Drugs and Guns"

Yes, an actual Rexall pharmacy. The owner was a licensed FFL dealer and combined the two businesses in one store.

MrEd131

Jan 29, 2022
Huntsville
I’ll go first. At a funeral of a work colleague / friend. Great guy into really neat things but cancer took him at a young age. During the gathering after the funeral I started talking to a guy and the subject of cannons came up. I said I would love to buy a nice one. He replied he had a nice civil war style 3 lb version he would like to sale. After a little back and forth we agreed on a price. He went home to get it and we set that cannon off in the yard that evening to celebrate Bill’s life. I’m sure he was smiling ear to ear in heaven looking down on me making a deal to buy a cannon at his funeral.
As an old artilleryman, color me envious at your acquisition. But also proud she was used in a memorial and ceremonious way. Godspeed in all your endeavors.

HuntMaster

Established Member
Apr 20, 2022
St Stephens
Back in the early '80s, I bought my first handgun at a store in Chickasaw, Alabama, which had a name which would probably get it burned to the ground these days...

Yes, an actual Rexall pharmacy. The owner was a licensed FFL dealer and combined the two businesses in one store.
I remember that place from my younger days when I would be passing through heading to the beach.
I remember there as well as Pritchard actually being a decent place.

BigSqueeze

Established Member
Jun 26, 2023

"Drugs and Guns" you say?
pp,504x498-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u2.jpg