Wife learning to shoot. Issues with Eye Dominance vs Handedness

DumpsterDog

Established Member
Aug 2, 2022
Birmingham, AL
I've finally gotten my wife wanting to carry her own gun and start learning how to shoot. (Big Win!)

Unfortunately she is left eye dominate and right handed. She physically struggles to open her right eye by itself, so I can't just force her to use right eye, trust me I tried. She has done ok thus far with iron sighted and optic handguns, but she gets so frustrated with any long gun. She asked me if she could try to learn everything left handed and as a complete novice I don't think that's the worst option since she's been learning fundamentals fresh anyway.

Anybody out there righthanded but shoot lefty due to left eye dominance? Any suggestions from the crowd?

DoyleAlley

Established Member
Sep 15, 2022
Rainbow City, Al
I'm cross-eye dominant too. With a pistol, it is no problem. Just have her use her dominant eye. With long guns, yes - I have issues too. I have to squint my left eye and force my right eye to take over. Until the last few years, I was pretty accurate even with iron sights. Recently though, old age is taking its toll and I can't focus on the irons well enough so it looks like my days of popping chipmunks in the back yard with just an iron sighted .22 are about over.

DumpsterDog

Established Member
Aug 2, 2022
Birmingham, AL
I'm cross-eye dominant too. With a pistol, it is no problem. Just have her use her dominant eye. With long guns, yes - I have issues too. I have to squint my left eye and force my right eye to take over. Until the last few years, I was pretty accurate even with iron sights. Recently though, old age is taking its toll and I can't focus on the irons well enough so it looks like my days of popping chipmunks in the back yard with just an iron sighted .22 are about over.
Thanks for the input!

Hpgc

Established Member
May 27, 2019
NE Alabama
I think you have the right idea: that it may be a good learning experience to go left-handed. Especially long guns. I know a few people who do everything righty except shooting a rifle. On the other hand, for self defense training, give both hands a try for a few sessions.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
I think you have the right idea: that it may be a good learning experience to go left-handed. Especially long guns. I know a few people who do everything righty except shooting a rifle. On the other hand, for self defense training, give both hands a try for a few sessions.
I'd second this approach. I'm left-handed but right eye dominant so I just shoot right handed; should work fine the other way around as well.

rybern

Established Member
Aug 31, 2023
Albertville, Alabama
I've known some phenomenal pistol shooters that are cross eye dominate but I I don't know what they do for long guns. But I have a friend that is left handed and right eye dominate that shoots long guns right handed. I feel like there can be some advantages of this but like anything, it will take some time to develop the skills and become comfortable with it.

uechikid

Established Member
May 27, 2023
Theodore
With handguns it shouldn’t be an issue. With long guns she’ll probably need to shoot left handed. Which also isn’t an issue. I was teaching my granddaughters to shoot. I found out one of them is left eye dominant. When I had her shoot left handed everything fell into place. If she’s not comfortable she won’t shoot. You gotta make it easy for her.