You decide

Is a gun that's never been fired considered brand new when a new car driven off the lot is used?

• Total voters

MadeInDixie

Staff member
May 10, 2016
Birmingham
When someone buys a new car and drives it off the lot it is considered a used car correct? So if someone buys a gun and walks out of the store then it is considered a used gun, whether they have fired it or not. So it doesn't matter if they say it's never been fired, it's still a used gun. The person who bought the car could have had it towed to their house, it's still used. The dealership doesn't own it anymore, an individual does, hence the used part of the whole thing. Agree or disagree?

kwb377

Established Member
Dec 16, 2019
B'ham
The difference is the actual act of driving (or towing) a new car home puts use/miles on it. A new/never-fired gun taken home is still "new in box"...it just becomes "pre-owned".

Joel6180

Staff member
Advisor
Jan 27, 2018
Atmore, AL
A distributor "buys" a gun from a manufacturer, a gun store "buys" a gun from a distributor. Still a new gun when a customer comes in the store and buys the gun. I say new, until gun is messed with in any way. Dry firing, working the action, cleaning the grease off, etc.

Trs

Established Member
Jun 5, 2021
Albany, Ga
I'm with the no fired, still new. Cars are a bad comparison, to drive them off the lot you have to fire up the engine, this used. Pretty sure most gun sellers don't or can't let you drive it off the lot.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Technically most guns are fired at least once at the factory as part of their QC, so ever a brand new gun at a gun store is rarely "never fired". That said I would consider a gun with a previous owner that never fired it to be for all intents and purposes new.

Turkeyneck

Established Member
Jan 24, 2021
Athens
I bought used guns for a shop for a few years. I always bought, priced and tagged as used even if the seller claimed it had never been fired and do the same on private sales. To me, if I dont buy it off the shelf at a shop/store or dealer then it is used. The problem is most people that want to claim "never fired, new in the box" expect retail price or more when reselling which is aggravating.

Lesau

Established Member
Oct 11, 2018
Birmingham
Well, many gun manufacturers have a warranty that is good only for the original owner. So it appears to me that they consider it used after the original owner.

kimq15

Established Member
Jun 8, 2021
Birmingham
There's no magic counter of rounds on firearms so I would treat every gun from a previous owner as "used". I have a brand new Glock right now, looks the same as one with only 50 rounds through it.

Jct61765

Established Member
Sep 19, 2020
New Brockton
ALL guns are test fired at the manufacturer. You have no idea how many rounds have been put through a gun. Could be 50 or 5000. Just looking at a gun you cannot tell. So, once you walk out of the store, the gun is used.

Reactions: Trs

Bwhite224

Established Member
Dec 5, 2021
Hoover, AL
Once you leave the store it’s used IMO. No way to verify whether the person selling has actually fired the gun or not. If I had a gun that I hadn’t fired I would say that because it seems to be a selling point. But personally I don’t really care if it’s been shot or not. As long as it’s clean and we’ll maintained.

9mm

Established Member
Jul 23, 2016
Mobile
Unless you are purchasing a firearm from a reputable shop as New, I would consider it used.

Robodoc

Established Member
Dec 19, 2021
Gadsden
I know most gun shops act like you're a Leper when you bring a new gun back to trade; much the same as the car lot...

tgwolfwood1981

Established Member
Apr 3, 2022
Bryant, Al
Never shot is new, as long as the gun has been stored properly. If a gun was stored in such a way that corrosion/rust sets in, never being shot kinda goes out the window of being a variable on its “newness”

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
IMO new or used only matters if you are trying to determine value

Cars depreciate on a different scale than guns do, so that comparison is flawed

Guns that have been approved and processed on a 4473 are now considered sold. When they are re-sold they are used

The question is how used?
Used enough to be of less value?

never fired is considered mint bnib etc
that does not mean someone didn't improperly clean the barrel and screw it up ;)

You still need to properly investigate before purchase, and it may have a previous owner caused problem that you miss.

I only regret buying one gun used, it was a 308 that I knew had a lot of rounds on it, but I didn't realize the barrel was literally shot out. My screw up and I ate the $150 to put a new barrel on it (did labor myself, got barrel on black friday deal, minimized the loss)

I have never understood paying the same or more for a used gun...

Profirefighter

Established Member
Jan 24, 2021
Hanceville
When someone buys a new car and drives it off the lot it is considered a used car correct? So if someone buys a gun and walks out of the store then it is considered a used gun, whether they have fired it or not. So it doesn't matter if they say it's never been fired, it's still a used gun. The person who bought the car could have had it towed to their house, it's still used. The dealership doesn't own it anymore, an individual does, hence the used part of the whole thing. Agree or disagree?
Unfired. No drag line on cylinder. New.

Mark_C

Established Member
Jun 7, 2023
Trussville
If the gun has been removed from packaging and the oil from human skin has touched it, the finish has been compromised. Also, I’ve seen guns that weren’t correctly stored (with desiccant to remove humidity) that had rust or pitting in the blued finish. That’s one reason that I like the flat finish of most AR platforms today.