Your First Handgun?

Bob

Established Member
Jan 30, 2016
I went to buy my 1st handgun about 3 1/2 years ago, right after the school shooting in Connecticut. I listened to all the talk about "assault weapons" (God I hate that term) being banned but I just wanted to get a Glock 19 pistol. I went into Hoover Tactical Firearms outside of Birmingham. To say the place was packed would be a gross understatement. Their display boards behind the sales counter were almost barren save for a few scattered shotguns and .22 rifles here and there. Nothing in the tactical rifle category, they were all gone. The pistol cases offered a little more variety so when I finally got someone to help me he said they were out of all the Glocks. I asked him to show me something else in a 9MM so he pulled out a Steyer Arms M9-A1. It was about in the same price range as the Glock so I decided to take a chance on a make of gun that I wasn't familiar with. To say that I've been happy with this gun would be another one of those understatements. I've fired approx. 6,000 rounds through it and jams and other malfunctions have been almost non existent except for when I bought 100 rounds of some cheap Russian crap but that was the ammo not the gun.

Attachments

• 2013-08-23 19.30.43.jpg
    2013-08-23 19.30.43.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 79

Clonetrex

Established Member
Dec 27, 2016
Mobile
If you're here on this section of the Forum and reading this post, chances are you've got a "thing" for handguns.

Anyone care to share what their first handgun was and if they still have it?

Mine was a blue, 4-inch barrelled Smith & Wesson Model 19-5 .357 Magnum pretty much like the one pictured...it's not one that I still have. As I recall, it was a whopping $245 brand new back in 1987 haha...

View attachment 86
Absolutely! I love my p89dc, thing's a tack driver and serves me well! Still have have it!

Attachments

• IMG_0911.JPG
    IMG_0911.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 90

bassdaddy00

Established Member
Dec 15, 2016
Atmore
My first gun was a 1960 Colt Official Police .38 spl with a 4 inch barrel. My Dad bought it but it had a broken spring if I recall. My Uncle, who I am named after, bet my Dad he could get the gun fixed first and if he did, it had to come to me. I have had it since 1985.

Espacef1fan

Established Member
Feb 17, 2019
Dothan
New guy here digging up zombie threads.

Anyways my first pistol that I shot: Tokarev tt33. Sweet shooting little gun and fun

Carried for work: Beretta M9. Big but I’ve yet to find a pistol I’m more accurate with

Owned: Keltec P11. Loved the size to capacity ratio. Awful trigger. Reasonably accurate with practice. Spent most of my time putting it back together as it likes to rattle to pieces. Replaced with PT111 G2

AlabamaLarry

Established Member
Jan 7, 2021
S. Huntsville, AL
Mine S&W 66 SS 4" 357mag pac combat grips and a Bianchi shoulder holster.

Gun was stolen from my Truck in 1989 and returned to me by Phoenix PD in 2007 all beat up.

I sold it for $250 because of the bad mojo that could have been behind it, I should have just had them destroy it. Really sucked to get back what was a beautiful and flawless handgun in such bad shape.

kwb377

Established Member
Dec 16, 2019
B'ham
My first handgun purchase was in 1992 when I first moved out and got married (actually, my dad bought it and "sold" it to me, as I was still a few months away from turning 21)...it was a used nickeled Taurus PT92. After I turned 21, I bought a used Star PD as my first "concealed" compact handgun.

madmyk

Established Member
Jan 11, 2021
Tuscaloosa, AL
21st Bday - first one I could legally buy for me.
S&W 915 - Back when wallyworld sold handguns. Basic 9mm patterned after the 59xx series, but was black aluminum frame, black slide (really, it wasn't blued steel, not sure what the finish was...).
Sold it when I had to have $, wish I wouldn't have - not that is was anything special other than the first one I bought for me.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
1622254058555.jpeg
My first handgun was this Heritage Rough Rider my dad bought me for Christmas about 15 years ago. He had a Ruger Single Six when I was a kid that I used to enjoy shooting so when I was old enough he got me something similar. Came with a .22LR and a .22 Magnum cylinder and is a great little plinker and snake gun for fishing or just walking around in the woods.

Trs

Established Member
Jun 5, 2021
Albany, Ga
My first handgun was a loaner presented to me a couple of months after my 18th birthday. I'll never forget how a kind older fatherly figure calmly instructed me in it's use and care. Making sure I understood it's safe and effective employment.

Trs

Established Member
Jun 5, 2021
Albany, Ga
My first handgun was a loaner presented to me a couple of months after my 18th birthday. I'll never forget how a kind older fatherly figure calmly instructed me in it's use and care. Making sure I understood it's safe and effective employment.

Caballero2

Established Member
May 13, 2017
Helena,AL
My first handgun was a Ruger SP01 in 38special. Great gun got it for personal protection. One of those that got away, wish I had never sold it.

Sammy89

Jul 14, 2021
Auburn
If you're here on this section of the Forum and reading this post, chances are you've got a "thing" for handguns.

Anyone care to share what their first handgun was and if they still have it?

Mine was a blue, 4-inch barrelled Smith & Wesson Model 19-5 .357 Magnum pretty much like the one pictured...it's not one that I still have. As I recall, it was a whopping $245 brand new back in 1987 haha...

View attachment 228
My first handgun was a Springfield Subcompact 40. I still have it but I'm so tiny that the kick is to much for me.

Griz375

Established Member
Feb 15, 2021
W TN, 38105
A bring back S&W Victory I was not old enough to legally own; none the less, it was mine and only mine, whenever we went shooting. Not sure how it made it back from the UK, post WWII.

Lance

Established Member
Jun 6, 2021
Monroe County
I guess I kinda go against the grain on this one.......

My very first handgun was purchased in 1984. It was a 7 1/2 inch Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum.....

I still have it, and will until I die.