“The Old Days” of Ammo Prices…You Know, Like WAY Back in 2018 (LOL)

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Ahead of a range trip I found some good, old Zero-brand .38 Special reloads in my supply, (crafted right here in Alabama!)

Once upon a time I marked my ammo with the date purchased. I’m not sure why I’ve gotten away from that; perhaps I should pick the practice back up.

How I used to love this brand - still do, just haven’t seen as much of it available.

Check that “vintage” price tag haha…

1641098718402.jpeg

1641098759182.jpeg

Cheekibreeki

Established Member
Mar 21, 2021
Mobile
Eventually they will go back to what they were like after people thought Obama was going to ban stuff after Sandy Hook. At least I hope they do.....

Bama55

Established Member
Oct 10, 2021
Woodstock, AL
In my opinion, I don't believe prices will go back to what they were. The ammo companies have seen what people will pay. Prices may go down a little, but not much. The importation ban on Russian firearms and ammo put an end to "cheap" ammo. Gone are the days of inexpensive range/shooting trips, even with .22 LR.

Last edited:

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
How is ammo supply going in y’all’s areas?

With Walmart’s decision to stop offering certain types of ammo pre-pandemic, I’d switched to mostly online purchases. I was in a retail outlet over Christmastime and was pleasantly surprised to see ammo in numerous popular calibers available. There were daily purchase limits and the pricing was higher (though not as high as they had reached at the height of 2020).

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
In my opinion, I don't believe prices will go back to what they were. The ammo companies have seen what people will pay. Prices may go down a little, but not much. The importation ban on Russian firearms and ammo put an end to "cheap" ammo. Gone are the days of inexpensive range/shooting trips, even with .22 LR.
Between this and inflation from having 40% of our money in circulation printed in 1 year yeah we won't see pre-2020 prices probably ever again. I do hope I'm wrong though.

redredred

Established Member
Dec 13, 2020
Birmingham
I saw an interview with CEO of Winchester. He said they are about to have a price increase. He said metals, cardboard, all supplies, transportation, and cost of manufacture in general have all risen. Pre covid prices are long gone.

Cheekibreeki

Established Member
Mar 21, 2021
Mobile
How is ammo supply going in y’all’s areas?

With Walmart’s decision to stop offering certain types of ammo pre-pandemic, I’d switched to mostly online purchases. I was in a retail outlet over Christmastime and was pleasantly surprised to see ammo in numerous popular calibers available. There were daily purchase limits and the pricing was higher (though not as high as they had reached at the height of 2020).
All the common calibers can be found easily its the uncommon stuff that is still really expensive mostly because only 1 place has stuff like 8mm mauser, 7.62x25 tokarev etc

Griz375

Established Member
Feb 15, 2021
W TN, 38105

Mugi-wara

Established Member
Jan 3, 2022
NW Bama
The only times prices go down is when people stop buying. Ammo sales have slowed a little, just not quite enough yet. If and when supply catches up to demand, it will improve.

Is inflation a problem, absolutely, but this is a self caused (by our political representatives) problem we are facing here in our country. Can it be reversed, sure, but only time will tell.

redredred

Established Member
Dec 13, 2020
Birmingham
Winchester has also said they're going to have a price increase. I'm guessing these price increases will go up 10 to 15% to the consumer. And once they go up they won't come back down. People would have to quit buying for a year or two before they lowered prices. And they're about to drive the Reloaders out of business also.

bamabum

Staff member
Oct 19, 2020
Randolph County
I picked up 3,000 rounds of Norma brass 124 gr 9mm at 31.8 cents per round, delivered, and 1,000 rounds 62 gr SS109 5.56 at under 48 cents per round, delivered, directly from Normashooting.com. 10% off with code "Welcome10" or code "2022". Not exactly 2018 pricing ('the old days') but not the worse I have seen either, and I am willing to take the risk of investing now (dollar-cost averaging) while ammo is still available.

Last edited:

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
I picked up 3,000 rounds of Norma brass 124 gr 9mm at 31.8 cents per round, delivered, and 1,000 rounds 62 gr SS109 5.56 at under 48 cents per round, delivered, directly from Normashooting.com. 10% off with code "Welcome10" or code "2022". Not exactly 2018 pricing ('the old days') but not the worse I have seen either, and I am willing to take the risk of investing now (dollar-cost averaging) while ammo is still available.
Of all the big brands Norma is the one that's had the best consistent prices lately. Sometimes CCI has some decent deals as well if you buy direct from them.

bamabum

Staff member
Oct 19, 2020
Randolph County
Speaking of old days of ammo (and guns), pics below of my wife's grandfather's "Pistol Toters License" (dated 1916, good for 3 years) along with the actual S&W "Square Butt" .38 M&P 4" pistol referenced in the permit, along with several boxes of ammo that I was given with the pistol. The price of those 38 special rounds was 7 cents each!!

Pistol_Toters_License_Jan26_1916.jpg

SmithandWesson_38_Pistol_for_Pistol_Toters_License_Jan26_1916.jpg

Old_Ammo_small.jpg

bamabum

Staff member
Oct 19, 2020
Randolph County
@bamabum that is fantastic!

Indeed, and some really interesting "stuff" from the family, including a leather bound pocket-sized New Testament, carried during the Civil War, with the papers folded inside showing that the Bible was given to her Great Grandfather (a Georgia State Senator) in 1848. Interesting family pieces for sure, all of which I hope to donate to the local historical society at some point in the future.