AL Permitless Carry Misinformation

RustyRooster

Established Member
Sep 16, 2023
Birmingham
A sheriff clerk processing permit applications told me recently, "Unless you want it for reciprocity with other states, there is no reason to get an AL permit anymore. The restricted areas are the same whether you have a permit or not." I have heard this same misunderstanding of the state law from many people, so I thought I'd put some information here to make more people aware of what the law says. No one wants to get jammed up over something stupid simply because misinformation is floating around.

What the county employee told me above is not true and comes from not carefully reading the passed version of the constitutional carry act. Even with this partial permitless carry act being passed, you still need a permit to carry at athletic events. An early version of the bill made it legal to carry in sporting events without a permit, just like most everywhere else, but the version they ended up passing put this one little caveat back into the text. Even if we agree it's ridiculous, I still think it's good to know what the law says, especially when it's ridiculous. Let's look at the actual verbiage in the law. This is from 13A-11-61.2 (emphasis mine):
a person...may not knowingly possess or carry a firearm in any of the following places...:

(5) Inside any facility hosting an athletic event not related to or involving firearms which is sponsored by a private or public elementary or secondary school or any private or public institution of postsecondary education, unless the person has a permit issued under Section 13A-11-75 or recognized under Section 13A-11-85.

(6) Inside any facility hosting a professional athletic event not related to or involving firearms, unless the person has a permit issued under Section 13A-11-75 or recognized under Section 13A-11-85.

So what this means is that, even with all the press about "Alabama is now proudly a constitutional carry state! No more permits needed!" there is still a difference between where people with a permit can carry and where people without a permit can carry. Those who opt to not pay the permit fee are banned from carrying a firearm into a school, college, or professional sporting event (so basically any football games, since that's all this state cares about lol). Here is an article from last year when the debate was still raging on these two little lines of text. Apparently, the debate was won by those who wanted guns in the stands to be illegal.

It's a small thing, but it's important to know that non-permit-holders still don't have their rights protected by the state as those who paid the fee.

If you think I'm wrong about something or missed something, feel free to let me know! Also, have you seen social media posts, articles, or heard people say that you simply "don't need a permit" in AL anymore and that there's "no difference" between getting a permit and not?

Last edited:

Shocker

Established Member
Mar 26, 2023
Bibb Co
The real reason to not bother with a permit is that a few idiot hick Sheriffs ignored ATFs patient warnings, issued permits for Cousin Joe Bob, and Uncle Johnny Reb...without doing NICS checks, and ATF pulled ALs exemption from NICS.

The 1 or 2 day automatic delay i get, which I can only assume is petty retaliation for 2 decades of being an 07 with a spotless record keeping track record, while simultaneously characterizing ATF (in several media outlets) as the baby burning, evidence tampering, BP Agent killing filth that they are, has caused me far more inconvenience than carry at some sportsing event. (Because I don't waste my time with such things)

Lee

Established Member
Jan 29, 2016
Birmingham
Other states. States with reciprocity. Constitutional carry in AL does NOT give you the same in other states. I will continue to pay for my permit in AL bc I do travel to other states.

To your specific question, no. A permit does not give you anything special within AL. You still cannot carry anywhere restricted by metal detectors. If no metal detectors, I carry. I always carry concealed, never open. I carry in restaurants, hospitals, work, everywhere there is no metal detector. No one knows. No one needs to. I even carry in my home.

The only benefit to permitted carry that I know of is reciprocity with other states.

cs229

Established Member
Oct 8, 2023
North Alabama
This is absolutely correct. As a (former) law student, I've gone through Alabamas laws before moving here and found that despite it being a constitution carry state, many of the laws still specifically call out permit holders. Spoke with the local sherrif about it as well and he confirmed.

DoyleAlley

Established Member
Sep 15, 2022
Rainbow City, Al
Are there any other places the permit allows you to carry legally where you can't carry without one?
There are several states that have two levels of permit. MS is one of them. A MS Enhanced permit allows you to carry in many places that a normal permit (or no permit at all - MS being a constitutional carry state) doesn't allow. For example, with my MS enhanced permit, I don't have to worry about being legal when I venture onto the university campus property (inside campus buildings is still off limits though).

Shocker

Established Member
Mar 26, 2023
Bibb Co
There are several states that have two levels of permit. MS is one of them. A MS Enhanced permit allows you to carry in many places that a normal permit (or no permit at all - MS being a constitutional carry state) doesn't allow. For example, with my MS enhanced permit, I don't have to worry about being legal when I venture onto the university campus property (inside campus buildings is still off limits though).
I don't frequent indoctrination camps staffed by Bolshevik Khazars and their enablers, so this doesn't affect me.

Plainsman

Established Member
Oct 24, 2023
Calhoun County
How did you manage to get a permit in MS? Do you also have one in AL? I had a MS carry permit in the 80's but there was only one level at that time.

5lima30ret

Established Member
Feb 15, 2024
Foley, AL
Not just retired. Any veteran.
Some county Sheriff's Office may not charge veterans who are not retired, but AL Criminal Code Section 13A-11-75 states
"b. Any retired military veteran who meets the conditions for issuance of a pistol permit pursuant to 13A-11-75 shall be eligible to obtain the pistol permit without paying a fee for the permit."

DoyleAlley

Established Member
Sep 15, 2022
Rainbow City, Al
I think you are correct. The statute does seem to state "retired", however all the reporting I can find relating to HB208 that passed a couple years back says "honorably discharged veterans" . Additionally, both Jefferson County and Tuscaloosa County sheriff's websites state "honorably discharged veterans" get free permits. Very confusing. I've be still carrying my MS permit but it's time to go up to the Etowah Cty sheriff's office and get my AL permit. I'll see if they charge me.

Kowpot1

Established Member
Apr 28, 2021
Dothan, Al
Are there any other places the permit allows you to carry legally where you can't carry without one?
I believe, private property without permission. You can't go to your buddy's house carrying without his consent if you don't have a permit. At least, that is my understanding.
As of January 1, 2023, Alabama no longer requires a permit to carry a concealed handgun or in a vehicle. However, you still need the property owner's consent to carry a concealed weapon on private property that is not owned or under your control. If you don't comply, police may be called and you may be charged with trespassing.

Thomastrollope

Established Member
Apr 22, 2024
Birmingham
Do you have to be a resident to conceal carry? I recently started carrying after getting everything swapped over to AL id’s and whatnot since moving but didnt know if i had to wait as long as i did