Alabama amendment to concealed carry law - MUST inform LE if you are in possession...

BUBBQ

Jul 6, 2022
You will recall the concealed carry permit legislation that was introduced 2 years ago had a provision whereby an individual had a DUTY and was REQUIRED to notify law enforcement officers if they had a weapon in their possession at the time of a lawful stop or detention.
In the original legislation this particular provision had no penalty associated with it so it was deemed 'not enforceable', no magistrate would pursue it without a penalty provision...
The AL general assembly attempted to introduce an amendment giving this a Class A Misdemeanor status, but it was never voted on.
So... as no legislative action was taken, this part of the law is unenforceable, there is NO penalty for failing to notify the LE officers whether you have a weapon in your possession

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
Interesting

You are probably safer they don't know, all you need is some freaked out paniced cop getting trigger happy on you because you happen to be prepared to protect yourself

rybern

Established Member
Aug 31, 2023
Albertville, Alabama
There's different ways of looking at this guys. I like to inform LEO that I'm armed and show my carry permit. Folks with carry permits are typically law abiding citizens and this fact should put LEO at ease. I've had this discussion with several LEO friends on different occasions over the years.

Also, informing them up front will make things less stressful if they happen to see me "printing".

RustyRooster

Established Member
Sep 16, 2023
Birmingham
The enforce-ability aside, I'd like to offer a small clarification. The OP says that people are "REQUIRED to notify law enforcement officers if they had a weapon in their possession at the time of a lawful stop or detention," but really that's not completely true. You can be in the middle of a stop with law enforcement, never notify them, and be completely in the clear. You are only required to notify if you are specifically asked by law enforcement. If they never ask, you have no duty. Just a minor point for those who may not know. You don't have to tell them the moment they approach your window or anything.

"Any person who knowingly possesses a pistol or firearm concealed on or about his or her person or in a vehicle occupied by the person, and who is asked by a law enforcement officer operating in the line or scope of his or her official duties whether he or she is armed with a concealed pistol or firearm, shall immediately inform the law enforcement officer that the person is in possession of a pistol or firearm."
Ala. Code § 13A-11-95

v2comp

Jan 11, 2024
Phenix City, AL
A little off the subject but a funny story. A friend of mine who was new to concealed carry was stopped by a Trooper. He told the officer that he was carrying and asked him if he would like to see it. The Trooper replied, "I won't show you mine if you don't show me yours." I thought that was hilarious.
I had the same kind of interaction a couple months ago when a Sheriff's deputy pulled me over for my "Tag Light" being out. We both laughed and laughed....

cs229

Established Member
Oct 8, 2023
North Alabama
I moved to Alabama last year from a state where you were required to notify LE, whether asked or not. But our LE were also used to everyone carrying and normally didn't care at all.

FTG-05

Established Member
Apr 27, 2022
TN
A little off the subject but a funny story. A friend of mine who was new to concealed carry was stopped by a Trooper. He told the officer that he was carrying and asked him if he would like to see it. The Trooper replied, "I won't show you mine if you don't show me yours." I thought that was hilarious.
That's exactly what the AL state told me when he pulled me over for speeding and noticed one of my trailer brake lights not working.

He gave me a speeding ticket anyway - which, admittedly, I deserved. :(