Beginner hunting rifle

BigSqueeze

Established Member
Jun 26, 2023
Just wanted to know anyones suggestion on what a decent entry-level hunting rifle might be? Nothing too fancy or expensive, I'm thinking something I can go after deer and maybe hogs with? Thasnks in advance guys!

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
I'd suggest either a Ruger American or a Savage Axis II in .308. Sometimes you can find deals on them for around 350-400 with an admittedly not very good but good enough scope.

BigSqueeze

Established Member
Jun 26, 2023
I'd suggest either a Ruger American or a Savage Axis II in .308. Sometimes you can find deals on them for around 350-400 with an admittedly not very good but good enough scope.
Thanks! There's so many options out there I needa short-list to narrow it down.

three percent

Established Member
Oct 7, 2022
Right behind you
Tikka ,Howa,savage,bergara,browning, Remington 700,weatherby vanguard.if you want a really good shooting rifle that's not expensive get a Tikka a little more than the budget ones mentioned above but well worth the extra money.
308 is also a excellent hunting cartridge

Guru270

Established Member
May 27, 2023
Flomaton al
Depending on personal size,if smaller a nef handi rifle in 243win then a savage axis compact in 243. Asmaller adult a savage axis 270 win.

BigFish

Established Member
Jul 1, 2023
Honestly, any rifle of legal caliber for the game you are hunting with mushrooming ammo in AL will work fine. The best rifle is the one that always hits exactly where you aim every time and under various conditions and positions while hunting. Most rifles are capable of more accuracy than the man shooting can perform. Hunting/shooting is really just limited by a man’s own skill level.

rkflorey

Established Member
Jul 28, 2023
AL
For a seasoned shooter you can't go wrong with a 308, but a new younger shooter will benefit from less recoil. Try a .243 or 7mm-08, it is more than capable of any reasonable shot on a deer and won't destroy asmuch meat as a big magnum.

DoyleAlley

Established Member
Sep 15, 2022
Rainbow City, Al
I'm going to disagree on the .243. In my opinion, that is a round for someone who knows exactly where to hit a deer AND has the skills to do it consistently. Not enough lead on target for near misses.