Best places to find a Remington 700 short action receiver/bolt combo, maybe local?

ayg0001

Jun 22, 2021
Birmingham
Thanks to Remington going bankrupt, it is next to impossible to find receivers for a new build that are not insanely priced. Hoping someone has had experience with this, or maybe knows a place that is selling old rifles that I can just take apart to get the action out?

Maybe some company makes a good clone receiver that is visually similar?

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
I'd suggest looking into Bergara. Their rifles are good Remington 700 clones and they do sell barrelled actions on their website. Not sure but they might sell just the actions by themselves too if you wanted a different barrel.

ayg0001

Jun 22, 2021
Birmingham
Bergara is nice, but I only found one listing of a receiver alone that was pretty expensive and it has been out of stock for a year. I can't find anyone else selling bergara receivers, maybe they just don't supply that market

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Well I did a little more digging and I can't find any R700 pattern receivers out there for short action for under $1,000. It would honestly probably be cheaper to buy a whole rifle and remove and replace the parts you don't want, but even then the custom R700 world makes the prices for custom AR15s and even AR10s look like chump change.

American Patriot

American Patriot
Army
May 8, 2021
Hoover
I have a Remington 700 short action I've been thinking about selling, but it has been printed and trued by GA Precision, and it has the speed lock firing pin system.

I did it as a test to see what sort of accuracy I could get out of customizing a Remington 700 as opposed to buying another Defiance Machine action; plus, I wanted to lighten the gun just a little extra by not using the Defiance action. All total buying the action, printing and trued, and firing pin modification was a little over $900, but the 7-08 it runs shoots 1/4 to 3/8 MOA with me hand loading for it. With a Defiance action it would probably consistently shoot 1/4 MOA. I base that in the fact that I have two more identical rifles in different calibers that do shoot 1/4 MOA with Defiance actions.

Based on this post, and the difficulty of now finding the Remington 700 action, it sounds like I may do better just to hang onto it even if I do decide to put a Defiance in the 7-08. Never really thought about them getting hard to find.

Don75

Firearms Dealer… if can be got …I can get it.
Jul 30, 2021
Alabama
Thanks to Remington going bankrupt, it is next to impossible to find receivers for a new build that are not insanely priced. Hoping someone has had experience with this, or maybe knows a place that is selling old rifles that I can just take apart to get the action out?

Maybe some company makes a good clone receiver that is visually similar?
Pacific Tool and Die … sometimes they have used ones which have the face squared and also blueprinted

Don75

Jul 30, 2021
Alabama
I have a Remington 700 short action I've been thinking about selling, but it has been printed and trued by GA Precision, and it has the speed lock firing pin system.

I did it as a test to see what sort of accuracy I could get out of customizing a Remington 700 as opposed to buying another Defiance Machine action; plus, I wanted to lighten the gun just a little extra by not using the Defiance action. All total buying the action, printing and trued, and firing pin modification was a little over $900, but the 7-08 it runs shoots 1/4 to 3/8 MOA with me hand loading for it. With a Defiance action it would probably consistently shoot 1/4 MOA. I base that in the fact that I have two more identical rifles in different calibers that do shoot 1/4 MOA with Defiance actions.

Based on this post, and the difficulty of now finding the Remington 700 action, it sounds like I may do better just to hang onto it even if I do decide to put a Defiance in the 7-08. Never really thought about them getting hard to find.
If you can find a used rifle sometimes they can be purchased cheaper that just the action it self.

Don75

Jul 30, 2021
Alabama

What did you think of the work GA Precision did they are supposed to be top notch do you have a clue what they are charging now days to square the face and blue print the action of a 700 Rem….it been years since I had a quote worked up by them?

American Patriot

American Patriot
Army
May 8, 2021
Hoover
What did you think of the work GA Precision did they are supposed to be top notch do you have a clue what they are charging now days to square the face and blue print the action of a 700 Rem….it been years since I had a quote worked up by them?
GAP does exceptional work, in fact, they are the only gunsmith service I use; even though, I have to overcome shipping and the cost thereof. All of my guns are GAP customs, even the one that has the experiment of a printed and trued Remington 700 action. They printed and trued the action I had for $350, but the action really came to life when I put the David Tubbs Speed Lock System in it. With speed lock in place it started shooting as close as it possibly could when compared to exact same builds but running Defiance Machine actions.