Building a home range; any suggestions?

Oz82

Established Member
Dec 26, 2021
Blount County
We're considering building a range at the house.

It's outside any municipal borders in Blount County so as far as we can tell there's no major legal issues to deal with, but if anyone knows of anything that we might be overlooking, please speak up.

We're still trying to decide on what to use as backstop. I'm leaning towards cross ties with an earth berm behind, but it's tempting to imagine a stack of IBC totes filled with dirt. There is some elevation advantage that will handle the first few feet but to be completely safe there needs to be about 4 or 5 more feet of backing.

The target set up will be a combo of steel gongs, dynamic targets, and standard paper target holders.

We're mostly planning to shoot handguns and shotguns as the distance available is less than 60 yards maximum, but the occasional 5.56/.223 will fly downrange.

If anyone has input or suggestions, please share!

Last edited:

Beastmaker

Established Member
Nov 27, 2022
Tuscaloosa
There's a video out there where a guy has crossties as a backdrop. When shot with high power rifles the round would exit in random directions because of the grains of the wood. If I were to use them I would mound the dirt against the crossties. Your ibc tote ideal sounds interesting but not sure how it would hold up to being peppered with shotgun.

uechikid

Established Member
May 27, 2023
Theodore
I built a berm a couple years ago. Well I should say mostly built. It’s a project that keeps evolving. I used railroad ties for the back stop and side wings. I have sandy clay in front with sand bags filled with the same that make a retaining wall in the very front. I have also started terraced wall instead of loose dirt. I know the sand bags will need to be replaced regularly but the cost of railroad ties made it impractical to use them for the entire project. Maybe down the road.
i would say, make it wider than you think you’ll need. Or make it so that if down the road you want to expand it will be easy to do.

IMG_2056.jpeg IMG_2051.jpeg IMG_2009.jpeg

Beastmaker

Established Member
Nov 27, 2022
Tuscaloosa
I built a berm a couple years ago. Well I should say mostly built. It’s a project that keeps evolving. I used railroad ties for the back stop and side wings. I have sandy clay in front with sand bags filled with the same that make a retaining wall in the very front. I have also started terraced wall instead of loose dirt. I know the sand bags will need to be replaced regularly but the cost of railroad ties made it impractical to use them for the entire project. Maybe down the road.
i would say, make it wider than you think you’ll need. Or make it so that if down the road you want to expand it will be easy to do.

View attachment 12173 View attachment 12167 View attachment 12168
That looks really good. I just kept piling dirty until I got 6ft then packed it to 5ft.

Beastmaker

Established Member
Nov 27, 2022
Tuscaloosa
Yep. That will work too. My concern would be distances over about 15 yards. But it you’re careful you good.
It doesn't matter much I used to shoot without it, it's all woods for miles, but was tearing up the trees. That being said I would love to have it looking like yours