Carry pistol for weaker person?

closing

Keep most Sales within Alabama and on this Forum.
Mar 22, 2021
Montevallo Alabama
My mother has had some recent strength issues, I had her hold a g3c Taurus but she said it was still heavy ( she used to carry .357 mag S&W) I looked at some .380 autos like the S&W bodyguard. I don't really have experience in pocket pistols or more modern in general. I know the S&W .380 is around $500 but any good brand and advice would be apricated $300 would be nice but ok if not ( she is also kinda stuck on a revolver) Thank you.

octal

Established Member
Feb 5, 2021
Pelham
I went through the same search as you for my wife and the answer for her turned out to be the S&W 380 Shield EZ. She wasn't partial to revolvers, though.

sleepy4sureishere

Established Member
Nov 30, 2020
N. Alabama
My mother has had some recent strength issues, I had her hold a g3c Taurus but she said it was still heavy ( she used to carry .357 mag S&W) I looked at some .380 autos like the S&W bodyguard. I don't really have experience in pocket pistols or more modern in general. I know the S&W .380 is around $500 but any good brand and advice would be apricated $300 would be nice but ok if not ( she is also kinda stuck on a revolver) Thank you.
Hey Layne, Without a doubt any of the S&W air weight titanium line of Pistols will serve her well. Very Light with great ergonomics and they are +P rated therefore can be hot loaded if deemed necessary...Your toughest decision will be whether to get her DAO or SA/DA combo....They list high retail but they can be had reasonably with proper patience and the right trade...Good Luck on it Brother...

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Gonna second the S&W Airweight here, sounds like a good choice for what she's looking for. I carried a .380 Bodyguard for a while and if you do end up going with that I'd suggest NOT to get the model with the laser on it because the screw that holds the laser into the frame will back out and cause the slide to not go all the way back. The trigger is also really heavy but that's true for a lot of pistols in that category. I'd also suggest having her look at a Ruger LCP II and maybe a Sig P365 which is what I carry now. Sig P365 is small and not very heavy plus you get 10 rounds of 9mm and it comes stock with night sights so that's nice.

closing

Mar 22, 2021
Montevallo Alabama
Thanks everybody ill take a look at all these and do some research and see what she likes best by her shooting some of these at a range hopefully.

Kowpot1

Established Member
Apr 28, 2021
Dothan, Al
Gonna second the S&W Airweight here, sounds like a good choice for what she's looking for. I carried a .380 Bodyguard for a while and if you do end up going with that I'd suggest NOT to get the model with the laser on it because the screw that holds the laser into the frame will back out and cause the slide to not go all the way back. The trigger is also really heavy but that's true for a lot of pistols in that category. I'd also suggest having her look at a Ruger LCP II and maybe a Sig P365 which is what I carry now. Sig P365 is small and not very heavy plus you get 10 rounds of 9mm and it comes stock with night sights so that's nice.
I 2nd the Sig p365. It is striker fired, so no manual safety.

sleepy4sureishere

Established Member
Nov 30, 2020
N. Alabama
Hey Layne, Something else I felt compelled to mention to you before you spent your hard earned dollars possibly in the wrong direction...You said this "My mother has had some recent strength issues" and those words are very telling and absolutely the focal point of your topic...I notice that some are still suggesting an automatic...You didn't mention her age but regardless and I speak from experience here...Most women as they age start to weaken considerably in their grip strength and ability to hold and balance things such as a handgun...This weakness will rarely correct itself if ever especially if one has arthritis, carpal tunnel, and any other type of degenerative disease....Remember they are getting older as time goes on not younger therefore I would be very weary of an automatic where they are required to rack the weapon which takes alot of grip strength and dexterity for a woman of age to accomplish...Not to mention if she were to fire the weapon in self defense and in doing so "limp wristed it" then the weapon would not engage Battery which could very well lead to a deadly condition when faced with an attacker that wishes to do her bodily harm...Even if someone racked it for her to carry the slide at some point may get moved which in turn could effect battery as well creating a possible fatal FTF situation. Also, what if it jammed, stove piped, etc?...
The Revolver will do its job as long as she can point and squeeze and keep squeezing if necessary...I hope this further gives you the information needed to make the correct purchase for Mom...We only have one of em Brother...God Bless you for caring enough to make the right decision rather than just running out and purchasing something as cheap as you can find...We cannot put a price on our Mom, Family and/or Friends....God Bless.

Last edited:

closing

Mar 22, 2021
Montevallo Alabama
Hey Layne, Something else I felt compelled to mention to you before you spent your hard earned dollars possibly in the wrong direction...You said this "My mother has had some recent strength issues" and those words are very telling and absolutely the focal point of your topic...I notice that some are still suggesting an automatic...You didn't mention her age but regardless and I speak from experience here...Most women as they age start to weaken considerably in their grip strength and ability to hold and balance things such as a handgun...This weakness will rarely correct itself if ever especially if one has arthritis, carpal tunnel, and any other type of degenerative disease....Remember they are getting older as time goes on not younger therefore I would be very weary of an automatic where they are required to rack the weapon which takes alot of grip strength and dexterity for a woman of age to accomplish...Not to mention if she were to fire the weapon in self defense and in doing so "limp wristed it" then the weapon would not engage Battery which could very well lead to a deadly condition when faced with a criminal that wishes to do her bodily harm...Even if someone racked it for her to carry the slide at some point may get moved which in turn could effect battery as well. Also, what if it jammed, stove piped, etc?...
The Revolver will do its job as long as she can point and squeeze and keep squeezing if necessary...I hope this further gives you the information needed to make the correct purchase for Mom...We only have one of em Brother...God Bless you for caring enough to make the right decision rather than just running out and purchasing something as cheap as you can find...We cannot put a price on our Mom or any of our Friends and/or Family....God Bless.
Thanks that is a perspective i had not considered, she does have many of those problems you stated, she say strength but i would have to agree with you it's the balance and dexterity is a much better way of putting it, I'm going to have a range day with her to see what she is comfortable with because that is most important. I may be over worrying about it but at least that makes me research a lot more than i would for me. Don't get me wrong she still tough as they come she is just getting on up in age but also i think she mentioned it as she hasn't shot in a long time and noticed my new interest. Thank you i appreciate the fact you thought of something i should consider.

closing

Mar 22, 2021
Montevallo Alabama
I also appreciate everyone's advice as i don't believe in getting too many opinions and advice, Thank all of you.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Hey Layne, Something else I felt compelled to mention to you before you spent your hard earned dollars possibly in the wrong direction...You said this "My mother has had some recent strength issues" and those words are very telling and absolutely the focal point of your topic...I notice that some are still suggesting an automatic...You didn't mention her age but regardless and I speak from experience here...Most women as they age start to weaken considerably in their grip strength and ability to hold and balance things such as a handgun...This weakness will rarely correct itself if ever especially if one has arthritis, carpal tunnel, and any other type of degenerative disease....Remember they are getting older as time goes on not younger therefore I would be very weary of an automatic where they are required to rack the weapon which takes alot of grip strength and dexterity for a woman of age to accomplish...Not to mention if she were to fire the weapon in self defense and in doing so "limp wristed it" then the weapon would not engage Battery which could very well lead to a deadly condition when faced with an attacker that wishes to do her bodily harm...Even if someone racked it for her to carry the slide at some point may get moved which in turn could effect battery as well. Also, what if it jammed, stove piped, etc?...
The Revolver will do its job as long as she can point and squeeze and keep squeezing if necessary...I hope this further gives you the information needed to make the correct purchase for Mom...We only have one of em Brother...God Bless you for caring enough to make the right decision rather than just running out and purchasing something as cheap as you can find...We cannot put a price on our Mom or any of our Friends and/or Family....God Bless.
These are all excellent points a lot of us younger guys like myself tend to overlook, good looking out. Also another point for the Airweight would be that she could keep it safely in her pocket or purse if she wanted to instead of using a dedicated holster and even shoot through her pocket or purse without drawing if she had to

closing

Mar 22, 2021
Montevallo Alabama
These are all excellent points a lot of us younger guys like myself tend to overlook, good looking out. Also another point for the Airweight would be that she could keep it safely in her pocket or purse if she wanted to instead of using a dedicated holster and even shoot through her pocket or purse without drawing if she had to
that is a plus as i doubt she wants to holster it thanks

sleepy4sureishere

Established Member
Nov 30, 2020
N. Alabama
Very Proud of yall young Brothers...You both are showing great signs of wisdom by reaching out for advice and then even more so by having the ability to not only hear what is being presented but to Understand it...That is a sign of wisdom and maturity that is lacking in this day and age...Carry on Men!!!!

sleepy4sureishere

Established Member
Nov 30, 2020
N. Alabama
Thanks that is a perspective i had not considered, she does have many of those problems you stated, she say strength but i would have to agree with you it's the balance and dexterity is a much better way of putting it, I'm going to have a range day with her to see what she is comfortable with because that is most important. I may be over worrying about it but at least that makes me research a lot more than i would for me. Don't get me wrong she still tough as they come she is just getting on up in age but also i think she mentioned it as she hasn't shot in a long time and noticed my new interest. Thank you i appreciate the fact you thought of something i should consider.
Wise Words my Brother...Get her now what will continue to serve her for the rest of her life...She does not need to be swapping weapons and having to relearn down the road as she ages more...That air weight snub nosed S&W will be her friend until the end....Well up into her 90s and 100th bday...God Bless Mom!!!!

Joel6180

Staff member
Advisor
Jan 27, 2018
Atmore, AL
A handgun should be in some sort of holster, or dedicated purse compartment, that protects the trigger from getting hung up in something. Like a pen, lipstick tube, eyeliner pencil, etc. There is a lot of stuff in those purses that could cause a discharge. Hammerless would be a good option as well, but covering the trigger is a must in my opinion.

closing

Mar 22, 2021
Montevallo Alabama
A handgun should be in some sort of holster, or dedicated purse compartment, that protects the trigger from getting hung up in something. Like a pen, lipstick tube, eyeliner pencil, etc. There is a lot of stuff in those purses that could cause a discharge. Hammerless would be a good option as well, but covering the trigger is a must in my opinion.
Thank you something else i hadn't considered

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Definitely a valid concern; a double action revolver usually has a heavy enough trigger to keep it relatively safe from accidental discharge but putting it in a dedicated compartment would be a smart move for sure