Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Guns and Gadgets says ATF numbers are roughly 250k that registered. Several others are also showing estimates under 500k. Since we haven’t heard anything official it’s likely those estimates are in the range.

Last edited:

LoneStar

Established Member
Aug 3, 2023
Alabama
Guns and Gadgets says ATF numbers are roughly 250k that registered. Several others are also showing estimates under 500k. Since we haven’t heard anything official it’s likely those estimates are in the range.
All the sheep who registered will regret their decision once this thing finally dies the miserable death it deserves at the SCOTUS. I seriously doubt that the SCOTUS will reverse the 5th Circuit and the Biden Regime will only push the appeal upwards to virtue signal to the gun grabber maniacs in the Democrat Party ranks.

Lee

Established Member
Jan 29, 2016
Birmingham
All the sheep who registered will regret their decision once this thing finally dies the miserable death it deserves at the SCOTUS. I seriously doubt that the SCOTUS will reverse the 5th Circuit and the Biden Regime will only push the appeal upwards to virtue signal to the gun grabber maniacs in the Democrat Party ranks.
Regret? Noooo... I'm sure the ATF/DOJ will delete all those records once this is finally dead. lol right
No regrets, and now they have their fReE sBrS.

It wouldn't surprise me if the ATF keeps the data and vacates the FrEe SbRs just for spite.

kwb377

Established Member
Dec 16, 2019
B'ham
Yeah...I got two "free" SBR's. I intended to SBR two of my pistols from the time I bought them anyway...I just didn't have to pay $400. And if the SBR designations are voided should the Rule get overturned, I'll just reinstall the braces and still not be out $400.

Am I worried about the ATF having my information? They already have my info from my other NFA items... and from the 4473's that I (and you) have filled out for every over-the-counter gun purchase. If you think "nO oNe KnOwS i HaVe AnY GuNs BeCaUsE i DiDn'T ReGiStEr My PiStOl", then welcome to sheephood.

Lee

Established Member
Jan 29, 2016
Birmingham
Form 1ing guns you intended to Form 1 anyway is not who I'm talking about. I did my HK SP5 because of the 922r waiver, not because of free. The free was a perk. I'm talking about those who felt they needed to comply and those who did it simply bc of fReE.

I know they have SOME information on my stuff from 4473s, Form 1s, and Form 4s; so I know I'm on some of their lists. A while back, I figured those only account for about 20% of my stuff. The rest is friends, family, Armslist, AGF, and other sources.

LoneStar

Established Member
Aug 3, 2023
Alabama
I’ve often pondered this whole business regarding gun registries. I feel we’ve all been essentially screwed on that point since 1968. There are all sorts of ways to compile lists of gun owners and the NFA and the GCA of 1968 law are only a small part of the problem in the era of Big Data compiled by info merchants and other data aggregators.

The truth is that the Internet, PC’s, smartphones, and tablets have created a vast sea of data to be mined daily and no one does that more diligently and powerfully than the American corporate Big Data aggregators and the three letter agencies like the NSA.

In a SHTF scenario I seriously doubt that it would take the federal government more than a week, at most, to gather up and crunch all of the data using AI and supercomputers at Ft. Meade to generate vast lists of confirmed or suspected gun owners and their residential addresses.

This being the case, if you are sitting at home with all of your firearms in a SHTF meltdown or civil war scenario you are already a sitting duck, no matter whether or not you bought your guns through an FFL licensee or from Mack the Knife in a dark back alley.

So fretting about ATF gun registries has sorta become a moot point and is a relic of 1970’s era thinking. That anxiety is the malady of aging Fudds who just don’t get the computer age and how well and truly screwed the average citizen is when it comes to privacy rights that impact firearms ownership.

I’m sorry if saying this bursts the bubbles of those who’ve only bought their firearms in private sales to avoid potential ATF “lists” but all that effort was in vain. If you are seriously worried about government men coming for your guns you’ll need a new plan for avoiding confiscation efforts. They know where you are and they’ve got a pretty good idea that you are a firearms owner. They don’t need to know precisely what you have In your gun safe. They’ll figure that part out when they show up at your home with a warrant and either make you open it or they crack it open without your help.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
I think you make some good points about the ability to create a list of potential gun owners. I’m sure that could be done.

I’m not so much worried about being on a potential ownership list (I’m definitely already on some) but moreso limiting the details on the specific firearm transactions.

Having said that and I agree the list could be generated of likely gun owners, the issue for any group / future dictator to try to enforce has an inherent issue in that those lists would likely be half the people and the list wouldn’t be able to identify if I have one firearm, 10, 100 or 1000. Thus my basis to push back on any specific firearm list as that becomes much more important than a list of half the population that may have a firearm.

tbk5

Established Member
Jun 21, 2018
Springville, AL
In a real SHTF situation, who cares. There are an estimated 400,000,000 firearms in circulation. There are many many more firearms owners than there are people in law enforcement and military combined. Good luck to the them trying to round firearms up in a shoot first scenario.

The real concern is in peaceful times when legal gun owners are not on alert.

Massachusetts has a “transfer registry”. A firearm transfer, via dealer or personal sale, must be recorded within seven days. Legal gun owners generally complied because 1) they are law abiding and 2) it offers a record if a firearm that they sold is used in a crime.

I intentionally used the past tense when I wrote “complied”. Last fall, MA government published a “de-identified” database of all firearms transactions. They substituted an id number for names. It took me all of 15 seconds to re-identify myself and about 10 minutes for a bunch of other people. I think they removed it after the uproar but the damage was done.

In my case, the list was 100% inaccurate. Maybe paper records were lost. Maybe some out of state or personal purchases were not recorded. Who knows. I also turned over my collection since I left MA. No legal requirement to record the transfers as an out of stater.

The fallout in the MA 2A community is subtle but important. Almost no one trusts government anymore, even the fudds. They tried to pass a horror of a gun control law. MA government phones rang constantly and if was tabled (for now). There is no compromise any more. Many people no longer file FA-10s for out of state or personal purchases (dealer must file). There has been an increase in FFLs that follow the actual law, not memos from the DA. (This is a whole other story.) One mill building had 83 FFLs operating in it.

Why would anyone voluntarily “register” anything? You are not going to use it in a crime so who cares? If you are a criminal, you are already not registering anything.

If you want to reduce your electronic trail a bit, pay cash. Your dealer will enjoy not paying the credit card processing fee.