Greetings From Northport

BlackTemplar

Established Member
Dec 29, 2022
Northport
Hello all, new member moving to Northport next weekend. Will be my first time in Alabama and the South in general. I have moved around on the West Coast and Rockies and moving for my wife’s work/school. Managed to get a nice rental lined up and leaving out here in Oregon (commie-ville) next Friday. Moving my little family about 4 days drive away from anyone I’ve ever known so that will be an experience for sure. We have a two year contract in Tuscaloosa and will be finding our forever home after that. I am interested in fishing, hiking, and archery.

I have 28 positive feedback on my old forum (NorthwestFirearms) I can link if anyone needs feedback for me to get started on here.

Looking for places to fish and shoot my compound bow, advice on good stores in the Tuscaloosa/Birmingham area and day trips for me and my daughter since I am a stay at home dad.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Welcome. Big change in culture as well as food, landscape, etc from Oregon to central Alabama. I use to have a plant in Portland (god help me out there) and I spent over 25 weeks there in 2019. Loved the Columbia River and all of the outdoor areas away from Portland. Portland not so much.

I’ve also been to Medford a few times. Seemed like the further I got from Portland the better

Hope you enjoy your time in Tuscaloosa!

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Welcome aboard!

I know right about zero about archery; however, the indoor range at Hoover Tactical Firearms in Hoover (just south of Birmingham proper) has a dedicated indoor archery range.

BlackTemplar

Established Member
Dec 29, 2022
Northport
Welcome. Big change in culture as well as food, landscape, etc from Oregon to central Alabama. I use to have a plant in Portland (god help me out there) and I spent over 25 weeks there in 2019. Loved the Columbia River and all of the outdoor areas away from Portland. Portland not so much.

I’ve also been to Medford a few times. Seemed like the further I got from Portland the better

Hope you enjoy your time in Tuscaloosa!
I agree, I worked for a tractor dealership service dept and would travel all over the rural areas and it was nice everywhere the libs weren’t. Honestly I hope my folks retire soon and get out of there so I never have a reason to go back to Oregon. Farthest west I’d like to go anymore is Utah/Nevada. The west coast is done for.

BlackTemplar

Established Member
Dec 29, 2022
Northport
Welcome aboard!

I know right about zero about archery; however, the indoor range at Hoover Tactical Firearms in Hoover (just south of Birmingham proper) has a dedicated indoor archery range.
Thanks I will have to look into them. I am having a hard time finding a place to shoot my bow unless I can do it in my backyard. One major difference about here versus the west is over there most of the land is owned by the gov and you can just go out and shoot anywhere (bows or firearms) and over here it’s mostly private property. It looked like researching online there is a archery range at a state park around here but it looks like state parks passes are only good for the park you purchase them at and you need a hunting license to shoot at their range so that’s a substantial cost for both to just shoot a bow.

Beastmaker

Established Member
Nov 27, 2022
Tuscaloosa
I shoot in my backyard. I'm sure you can unless you're in one of them strick HOA neighborhoods. If your planning on joining a hunting club they have rifle and archery ranges. They may even let you shoot there without joining for a small fee or even free

Globe

Established Member
Jan 7, 2022
Alabama
The sipsey river Rec area is only a few miles west of Northport on Hwy 82. Maybe others can chime in on regulations there. Or possible “google” it. Surely you could target practice with a bow there

Globe

Established Member
Jan 7, 2022
Alabama
Technically I should have said it’s “off” of Hwy 82. The brown state Hwy sign is on the north side of 82. It would prob be a quick place (for you) to run and enjoy the woods. A lot of folks fish the sipsey too I’ve heard.

cutt

Established Member
Jul 11, 2020
st.clair county
Thanks I will have to look into them. I am having a hard time finding a place to shoot my bow unless I can do it in my backyard. One major difference about here versus the west is over there most of the land is owned by the gov and you can just go out and shoot anywhere (bows or firearms) and over here it’s mostly private property. It looked like researching online there is a archery range at a state park around here but it looks like state parks passes are only good for the park you purchase them at and you need a hunting license to shoot at their range so that’s a substantial cost for both to just shoot a bow.
Welcome. Oak MT. State Park has a nice range .