Has anyone ever tried “Cut Shells”?

GoneToAle

Established Member
May 12, 2023
PikeCounty
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with what is called Cut Shells?? I saw a video where the participants took a 12 ga. # 8 shot shell and cut it with a knife around it about 1/3 up from the rim. This seemed to cause the remaining shell body to become a ‘poor man’s slug’.
Just wondering if this can be done safely and reliably. The video showed 2 3/4” shells being cut this way.

Moose

Established Member
Apr 19, 2022
Huntsville
It's an old poacher's trick and it's illegal in some states. I've seen it done. Accuracy is awful it can be tough on shotguns with tight chokes.

Beastmaker

Established Member
Nov 27, 2022
Tuscaloosa
I have a buddy that showed me that trick. Like Moose said accuracy was pretty bad. I wouldn't think about using it for hunting. It's just fun to do. Did some good damage on the 4x4s we were shooting

tyz500

Apr 25, 2023
Florence
I tried it! shot a little ~2" sapling from about 5 feet and it took completely down. Used an 870 that had a turkey choke in it and nothing bad happened. I would consider it kind of a party trick but don't have any real use for it myself

Beastmaker

Established Member
Nov 27, 2022
Tuscaloosa
It will eventually stretch out the choke and barrel if you continue to shoot through the turkey choke. Put a cylinder bore choke in there and have fun

J G BEAVERS

Established Member
Jan 22, 2022
I've tried it a couple dozen times. Accuracy is fair as I got to where I could hit a 12" circle at 100 yards about every other shot. Don't use magnum loads or any 3" shells though, only low brass. Wouldn't want to use full choke too many times either.

mhobtr

Established Member
Dec 15, 2016
Birmingham
I've done it several times.

First time I tried it, I shot a 55 gallon drum from about 10 yards, Entrance hole was size of a 12 gauge but exit was a slot about 2 x 12 inches.

Works well to shoot unwanted limbs off trees.

Bullitprf

Established Member
Apr 23, 2017
prattville
Best used in a sxs or single shot shotgun. and only necessary for self defence when slugs or 00 buck are no longer available to you. kinda in a SHTF situation. IMHO.

mhobtr

Established Member
Dec 15, 2016
Birmingham
The old guy that taught me the trick said just that. If you have to take something down, and all you have is bird shot, this might save your ass.

I've taken down some 2"+ limbs off trees with this.

BTW, plastic shells usually allow you to see the wad under the shot. You want cut the center of the wad so the shell will stay together. If you don't cut all the way around but leave just a sliver, not more than 1/8". it will be easier to keep it together. If you cut too high, all the shot falls out and you're screwed.