Home defense shotgun

Thomastrollope

Established Member
Apr 22, 2024
Birmingham
Hello, new to the forum.

I’m looking for a home defense shotgun and have been doing some research. I keep hearing Mossberg 500, the Remington 870, and some others. I grew up with the 500 in the home but want to see if anyone had experience with other options and ideas. Trying to keep it under 300 or without trade value of the black powder rifle I have.

RTJ Traveler

Established Member
Jan 25, 2024
Prattville
Both shotguns that you mention are perfect, for me I prefer the Mossberg models only because the safety is located on the rear of the receiver as opposed to the just above the trigger guard. Having it right there in front of your face and closer to your strong hand thumb is better in my opinion for knowing, seeing and feeling your shotgun's state of readiness for home defense.

Just my two cents. Both Remington and Mossberg are top notch.

5lima30ret

Established Member
Feb 15, 2024
Foley, AL
I have had both Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 and either is a great choice. I would avoid the Maverick's even though they are similar they are not of same quality as a Mossberg 500. That being said a used Winchester 1200/1300 is well within your price range. They are great shotguns and have a faster slicker action than the Mossberg or Remington! Good luck!

Thomastrollope

Established Member
Apr 22, 2024
Birmingham
Both shotguns that you mention are perfect, for me I prefer the Mossberg models only because the safety is located on the rear of the receiver as opposed to the just above the trigger guard. Having it right there in front of your face and closer to your strong hand thumb is better in my opinion for knowing, seeing and feeling your shotgun's state of readiness for home defense.

Just my two cents. Both Remington and Mossberg are top notch.
Totally agree. It’s hard to miss if your shotgun is action ready if the safety is right in front of your eye. For defense readiness do you keep one in the chamber? I do with my carry gun but I feel like their might be more discussion around the response time difference in a home defense situation

5lima30ret

Established Member
Feb 15, 2024
Foley, AL
Great to hear! I found a 1300 on here and wanted second opinions. It seems like I might be going with that option!
FWIW, The Winchester 1200 was the Army issue shotgun during Vietnam era. I have a 1200 in 20 ga that is as fast possibly faster than some semi-auto's. The Winchester 1200/1300 uses a rotary bolt that was copied by FN. FN's are great but are big bucks!

kwb377

Established Member
Dec 16, 2019
B'ham
I own/ have owned several 500/590/88/870/1200 shotguns, and all will do what you need it to.
The only caveats I'd add on the 1200/1300 is that they have a fiddly ejector (the design has been changed a few times...if you break one you'll have to find the specific version to replace yours. If you break the pin in the receiver the ejector locates on, you're SOL), and the plastic magazine throats can break/disintegrate as they age.

I loved the look and feel of my 1965-vintage 1200 (the action felt like it ran on ball bearings), but I wound up trading it off and deciding to stick with the other designs.

W1200a.jpg

Last edited:

Beastmaker

Established Member
Nov 27, 2022
Tuscaloosa
I have a 870 and the maverick 88. I've had more trouble with the 870, it doesn't like cheap shells. the 88 eats everything so far. I believe the Mossberg holds an extra shell also.

MikeR

Established Member
Dec 10, 2023
Dothan
I have a 500 and an 870. Both are fantastic shotguns and I have both configured for home defense. I will say the 870 seems to be a tad higher quality. The forend doesn’t rattle and rock like the 500. The fit and finish seem a little better too. However both are great.

Attachments

• IMG_4053.jpeg
    IMG_4053.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4

Bamarider

Established Member
Feb 1, 2016
Mountolive
Hello, new to the forum.

I’m looking for a home defense shotgun and have been doing some research. I keep hearing Mossberg 500, the Remington 870, and some others. I grew up with the 500 in the home but want to see if anyone had experience with other options and ideas. Trying to keep it under 300 or without trade value of the black powder rifle I have.
Steven’s model 320 security 18in barrel. Is a good choice. And it’s around 200 at Academy.