How difficult is it to start reloading?

Mpgmpgmpg

Established Member
Aug 27, 2021
Elkmont
Former SOF guy, recently separated. Never even considered reloading.
What kind of cost is there to get everything to get started? Difficulty?

thanks

Also trying to reach my 10 post minimum so I can buy and sell some things…

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
I'd imagine getting primers would be the hardest part right now, but I'll wait for someone who actually does it to get into the details

Rink Rat

Established Member
Jan 12, 2019
AL
There are a ton of really good youtubers that have reloading channels. Get some manuals and don’t get recipes from the internet. I have yet to setup my reloading room but I have all my supplies.

Ed Jennings

Established Member
Jul 6, 2020
Pleasant Grove AL
There are many factors in reloading that need to be considered. First, what calibers do you want to load, and what sort of volume do you need? If you are loading a handful of rifle cartridges per week for hunting, a single stage press will do fine. If you want to load a few hundred pistol rounds in an evening, you need a progressive setup. I run a Dillon 550. Without hurrying, I can load 300+ rounds per hour of .45acp, 9mm, .38/.357, etc. I can also load most rifle cartridges on this press. There are turret presses that are in the middle of all this. Faster than a common single stage, slower than a progressive. Are you needing range fodder, target ammo, or rounds for serious business? If target or serious, you might want to weigh the powder charge for every round. Cost for initial set up can range from a couple of hundred dollars to a thousand or more for more serious set ups. Frequently, used equipment can be had. May involve estate sales,sadly. Tell us what you want to do and we can give you some guidance.

Griz375

Established Member
Feb 15, 2021
W TN, 38105
Former SOF guy, recently separated. Never even considered reloading.
What kind of cost is there to get everything to get started? Difficulty?

thanks

Also trying to reach my 10 post minimum so I can buy and sell some things…
get a sense of what calibres you might want to do, get on YouTube then put together some questions.

Reloading isn't hard as its only a mechanical process but it can be hard to do well. By well, I mean safely and delivering better accuracy by matching a round to your firearm.

I'll warn you now; chasing accuracy is as addictive as anything you've ever come across.

Welcome home BTW; don't hesitate to reach out.

American Patriot

American Patriot
Army
May 8, 2021
Hoover
So I am an accuracy chaser. To me there's no point in doing something if if I'm not going to do it well. Not to disagree with anyone, but I would say average start up cost is between 1k-5k. That said, it is why you need to determine your goals ahead of time to see what you need or want to accomplish.

Mostly I load for hunting, and in hunting I would say 1 MOA is acceptable to most hunters; however, I load for .25 MOA even for hunting. I have no desire to guess if the bullet is going to hit where I'm aiming (not discounting the wind factor) . In addition, a very accurate rifle boost the confidence factor tremendously, and as such ones shooting will excel. With that noted I have considered competitive shooting, and as such I have learned a tremendous amount from loading super accurate for my hunting rifles.

In all honesty I had a friend that taught me to load in one day; fortunately, he had a solid base from the person that taught him. At the end of that day I had more questions that answers, but that's not said to discredit what I was taught. Honesty, I'm a designer, and it's in my nature to constantly question. I can even remember the topic that caused me to question, and that was shoulder bump. I'm actually thankful I left that day with that question in wich I disagreed with his answer. Turns out I was correct in my assumption, and it started me down the road of constantly digging for knowledge. The internet is a good source of answers, and it's also a good source of disinformation. I said that to say be careful in what you listen too. The best thing to do is develop a solid base, build upon that, and then test and verify on your own. There are many good books to help build a solid basic foundation, and there are a good number of pros that will help as well. Be very careful of many of the YouTube reloaders that proclaim things as facts but have trouble proving it. Rabbit holes do exist.

A good place to start is maybe Panhandle Reloading on YouTube for your basics, and once you have a solid foundation move on to people like Eric Cortina on YouTube if your goals lead you to need to be more advanced. Applied Ballistics have good books out for the more advanced, but you can't go wrong with a reloading manual to read over the basics as well: plus, these books are loaded with data you'll need. Books put out buy Hornady, Nosler, Sierra are all pretty solid places to start. Just remember to determine your goal before you start, or once you're past the basics.

Truth is now is a terrible time to get into reloading. For almost two years now I have seen basic components limited. Say what you want, but it's my personal belief that it's intentional by our sham of a government that seeks to control us. Arm our enemies while disarming Americans. The gun control issue was very tough to tackle, but it turns out it's not that hard to attack ammo. Most really dedicated reloaders have a stockpile anyway, but it's very tough for most or those looking to get started. I've seen way to many questions this year from people wanting to start reloading, and that's happening because of a bunch of sorry individuals in government.

Hope that's helpful.

URTimeIsUp

Established Member
Nov 8, 2020
Birmingham
So. I notice you live in hoover al? I live in bluff park. I have reloading equipment. I’ve reloaded for several years. If you need or want to have a look at the process. I don’t mind getting the stuff out to reload some so you can see the process. I need to reload anyway.

Edit: ‍♂️ my bad. I looked at the wrong profile. Your not in Hoover are you?

Triggered

Established Member
Dec 2, 2019
Birmingham
Hey sounds like you're about to get started down a path of good times. Don't listen to anyone trying to discouraged you and anytime is a good time to start. I've read where primers are hard to get and cost are expensive. Truth is you can buy all the primers you want. A lot of reloaders don't want to pay market price for something, they hold onto prices from 2 years ago and that's just not current reality. I have 12 reloading machines and currently hold a manufacturing license and make ammo daily. If you want a progressive Hornady Ammo Plant with all the goodies extra parts, I'll even throw in some primers, projectiles, cases, and powder to help get you started. Basically $2200 worth of stuff for $1500. You are welcome to come by my gun store, American Tactical Gun and Knifeworks located at 981 Gadsden Hwy Birmingham AL 35235 just off i459 Trussville exit towards Roebuck at the corner of Ruffner Rd and Gadsden Hwy and talk in person.
Good luck,

Attachments

• 20210806_181916.jpg
    20210806_181916.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210806_181821.jpg
    20210806_181821.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 5

American Patriot

American Patriot
Army
May 8, 2021
Hoover
No one is trying to discourage anyone should you possibly be referring to my post, and the truth is at five times the normal price it is price gouging. Especially with people buying them all up to sell for higher prices elsewhere. Not to mention the limitation factor of stores only wanting to allow 500 or so primers purchased at a time; just another way to instill panic buying to keep justifying higher and higher prices. Either way that is pretty irrelevant. Fact is I have nothing to sell here, so my comments were open and honest and I will stand behind them.

Ultimately my point here is proven. The young gentleman needs to first be able to determine what his goals are before he buys anything. He may desire to load for precision long range, and may not even need a progressive setup. Then again he may; I don't know. Either way he can benefit more from someone who doesn't have a dog in the fight to help him honestly navigate the waters of what he may need, or at the least come up with what questions he should be asking. One other thing that is very true for reloading: you can waste a lot of time and money by going down the wrong path.

Now to prove I'm not here to derail you eirher I would be willing to purchase primers from you if they are at least somewhat reasonable and not quantity limited. I use two main primers, CCI BR2, and the Federal 210M. I like to buy them in quantity of 5k-10k each. What's your price? I also have friends in need of SRP as well, and they too buy in decent quantity; in addition, I have several friends on the PRS circuit in need of primers and they too will buy in large quantities.

Tator Man

Established Member
Jun 10, 2018
Greensboro Al.
Just my two cents there are other post that covers this subject, I think everyone that wants to reload should start on a single stage press,that is where you will learn how to load very accurate ammunition. You will learn the fundamentals this way and not just how to run a progressive press

American Patriot

American Patriot
Army
May 8, 2021
Hoover
Here is my room
Is that cowboy action I see? Completely out of my wheelhouse.

Nice setup Tator Man. I wish I had all my stuff handy, but I have to back stock in the closet. Truth is, I set it up that way on purpose. I wanted my bench small enough I could comfortably work on only one load at a time. My thinking was I would never accidentally grab the wrong thing.