How long can I store powder?

49fastback

Established Member
Feb 18, 2022
Pelham
So, I bought a good bit of equipment and some powder and primers, but lost my mentor to get started and walk me through the process. So, all has sat unopened - in climate controlled closet - for a few years. Is there an age where powders or primers deteriorate? What about loaded ammo? I have some reloads from a friend that are several years old and not sure if they have any kind of "shelf life"?

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Sorry to hear about your mentor. I know loaded ammo can be stored pretty much indefinitely so long as it's stored somewhere dry, so I would assume powder would be fine as well. People used to regularly shoot 70+ year old surplus ammo after all.

762x54

Established Member
Dec 16, 2021
lower alabama
There's a lot about this at powder manf's websites. As you described your storage it should last many years. I have used powder I bought long ago with no ill effects but every case is different. If you are storing it in your home you may
want to consider what repercussions it might have with your homeowners insurance in case of fire.

thats-fronkensteen

Mar 6, 2022
Guntersville Alabama
So, I bought a good bit of equipment and some powder and primers, but lost my mentor to get started and walk me through the process. So, all has sat unopened - in climate controlled closet - for a few years. Is there an age where powders or primers deteriorate? What about loaded ammo? I have some reloads from a friend that are several years old and not sure if they have any kind of "shelf life"?
I have ammo that I loaded in the 1970's that is still good today in 2021 because of how it was stored. In the 70's when I first started reloading and buying surplus rifles I was shooting 303 British with cordite and 8 mm Mauser from the 1930's AND they shot fine as long as they were stored in a cool dry place.

Thesurfmurf

Established Member
Mar 12, 2022
Priceville
I have powder, primers, and loaded ammo that is currently 6 years old and I just started reloading again and still just fine! I have heard as long as it’s stored well it’s good for a while. I moved to Alabama in 2018 and similar to you lost my reloading partner so three years before my move and until now haven’t loaded so just got back into it again. You should be good!