IDPA or similar need help

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Relating to this : https://algunforum.com/threads/springfield-xdm-elite-target-precision-5-25”9mm.3429/#post-15321

Not referring to the firearm but where do I start? I think the XDM would be a great firearm to Starr shooting with and going from there but I want to know more.

I know they have competitions at Talladega quite often.

Is anyone here part of the IDPA or other handgun competitions around bham area?

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
With the caveat that it’s been a couple of years since I’ve shot there - the Brock’s Gap Training Facility in Hoover offers a monthly IDPA match that is open to members and non-members of the Facility alike. Their IDPA matches and other events I’ve attended there were always well-run.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
There is also a weekly Thursday night match held at Hoover Tactical Firearms. I really should have done this one by now. I want to say that it kicks-off at 6pm, prefaced with a 5:30pm safety / orientation briefing for new participants.

While not an IDPA match, it appears to have that same flavor just minus the typical IDPA cover garments. Sometimes they incorporate pistol caliber carbines from what I’ve seen.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I’ve been the same way haha.

While I suspect other venues may do similar things, Brock’s Gap has held IDPA Intro sessions in the past to show new folks how a match works, demonstrate techniques, etc. Through the course of the day (maybe a 4-hour session), participants shoot a “match.” Very cool experience.

Along a similar vein, they are hosting a free USPSA (United States Practical Shooting Association) intro clinic THIS Sunday…

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
I am going to try and go to that if I can even if I don’t have a firearm ready for it in a way I want.

Xero

Established Member
May 20, 2021
Auburn
I kinda want to get into it but then I don’t know if I have the time.
Shoot when you can when you can with whatever you have. The beautiful part about IDPA and USPSA is that you can take it to whatever level you feel comfortable with. A lot of clubs I've seen in Auburn and Birmingham have been very welcoming to shooters of all skill levels. Just don't run around like you're Wyatt Earp at the OK Corral if that's not your skill level. Just be safe and have fun.

PDren000

Established Member
Oct 17, 2019
Troy/Brundidge
Tri-State Gun Club in Daleville. It's not super close to Bham, but if you decide to shoot competitions a little further out, Tri-State has one once a month. I wouldn't worry too much about a pistol set up for it as long as your gun works and you have three or four magazines and a hip holster. IDPA is one of the easiest shooting competition styles to get into.

dal205

Established Member
Jun 7, 2020
Huntsville
If you run a serpa holster check the rules before you go. I went to an intro class to competition shooting a year or so ago. I was running a serpa holster and was told I couldn't use it at IDPA events. To many NDs of the line.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
If you run a serpa holster check the rules before you go. I went to an intro class to competition shooting a year or so ago. I was running a serpa holster and was told I couldn't use it at IDPA events. To many NDs of the line.

+1 to this - at one time (and I assume this is still the case), the Brock’s Gap facility was no longer allowing SERPA holsters at any event.

theothermikeg

Established Member
Jan 19, 2022
Birmingham
I am going to try and go to that if I can even if I don’t have a firearm ready for it in a way I want.
I've been a member there for years and have never attended a competition. Please let me know if you intend to go; it'd be a great opportunity to meet and shoot. I'll do the same if I can ever get myself together.

wav3rhythm

Established Member
Sep 10, 2021
Huntsville
Where are you at? I’ve shot most of the USPSA matches in the state at one point or another. I recommend looking at a few different disciplines before investing in gear. Almost everything has something where you can use something you already own. IDPA and Steel Challenge are also very popular and are different enough to be fun. Steel Challenge is mostly a gateway drug to USPSA for most people though.