Is the AR/M4 the best option for Prepping?

GoneToAle

Established Member
May 12, 2023
PikeCounty
Is the AR/M4 the best platform for the average prepper to deal with a Shtf scenario? I say it's not.
All opinions are welcome.

texkev

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Feb 3, 2022
Texas
Well I am no expert that's for sure, I say NOT for most prepping needs. In hostile situations though seems handy on that end though over other options. I actually sold mine and now am considering other options for this reason. Finding a better prep option was the main reason I sold.

texkev

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Feb 3, 2022
Texas
It is funny, most of the prepping blogs and such online, always choose this as option 1.

GoneToAle

Established Member
May 12, 2023
PikeCounty
A Lever action is light to carry. And think about it, carrying stuff is a likely a limiting factor. It is for me anyway. I see that I might be carrying more than just weapons.
Even if you have 34 guns, a decision may be needed. Unless you have provisions and security to remain stationary.

Oz82

Established Member
Dec 26, 2021
Blount County
In my opinion it's depending on what you're prepping for.

I'm optimistic that unless there's a nuclear Armageddon, almost every other scenario will resolve in some sort of spontaneous order in fewer than a couple of months, especially in any significant collapse of the FedGov. In the interim security is essential, so a good rifle and shotgun is invaluable as well as a reliable sidearm.

Also, we're living where everyone else is going to be trying to bug out to, so that settles some issues like portability also.

Duke

Established Member
Jul 18, 2022
Ardmore, Alabama
Anything in 9mm, 45acp,223,556 308. You will easily be able to scavenge for ammo. All are extremely common calibers and stocked it most police and military vehicles, that might end up destroyed. An AR-15 is an excellent choice, because of their modular design and you do not have to have any experience to completely build one. Parts are cheap enough you can buy enough to keep one running for more than a lifetime.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
I don’t think there is a perfect answer to this question. The main thing is are you proficient with whatever rifle you choose? Being useful for self defense and hunting would be important for the choice. Again though ones proficiency is likely much more important than the specific rifle. Having said the above if I was starting over today then I would spend funds for a SHTF situation in the following manner…..

-Daniel defense, CMMG, Sig or similar decent AR style rifle. Purchase multi caliber lower option with 5.56 and have a 2nd upper (~9”) in 300 black. Need at least 20 pmags and a comfortable sling. If funds weren’t limited I would just purchase 2 rifles in aforementioned calibers from the same maker to keep it simple.
-Spend the money for an acog for each rifle. There are many other choices on optics but in my experience the simplest is the acog. Aimpoint/eotech with magnifier isn’t bad but personal preference for me is an acog.
-Acquire at least 5k rounds of ammunition for 5.56 and 2k for 300 (mostly subsonic but mix 60/40) in reserve.
-Purchase night vision capability (thermal or PVS14 gen 3 preferred). I personally love thermals but have seen some significant ability to hide from those coming out of the Ukraine. Night vision is a super power.
-Get a good carrier and ceramic plates as body armor will be useful. Also a good tactical helmet.
-Get a silencer for the 300 rifle. Being relatively quite would be advantageous.
-Pick up a shotgun. A good ol’ Remington pump 870 is hard to beat. If going a little more on the self defense side a KSG is a good option although a Benelli M4 is good for self defense and can be used to hunt easily.
-Last would be a handgun as it has the lowest level of value in a SHTF scenario. Hard to beat the ultra reliable and inexpensive Glock 17 or 19. Some might purchase this higher on the list as it can be used for carry before SHTF situation but if it’s only for SHTF it’s a lower priority in my opinion. Also need at least 1k rounds of 9mm ammo.

Ammo could be used in trading. Having some spare parts for ones AR would also be valuable along with the potential to trade parts also. Of course I didn’t address food, medical or water needs.

Prepping is expensive! It’s a lot more than ones rifle choice.

Last edited:

GoneToAle

Established Member
May 12, 2023
PikeCounty
Nice writeup Drcrimson. Lots of sound logic above. Thank you.
I agree with you that prepping is expensive. The main point to my OP was just to solicit options and opinions on the specific question of weapon choice.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
In my opinion it's depending on what you're prepping for.

I'm optimistic that unless there's a nuclear Armageddon, almost every other scenario will resolve in some sort of spontaneous order in fewer than a couple of months, especially in any significant collapse of the FedGov. In the interim security is essential, so a good rifle and shotgun is invaluable as well as a reliable sidearm.

Also, we're living where everyone else is going to be trying to bug out to, so that settles some issues like portability also.
Exactly. Unless you plan on being an active combatant in a unit of some kind which is going to be the lowest chance of happening, for 99% of your dealings with people during a "shtf" situation a reliable handgun and good situational awareness will be plenty (just like in day-to-day life).

Realistic prepping priority should be done in order of things you're most likely to need to least likely. First of all would be food/water/shelter/power; Ideally you want to be able to remain self-sufficient in these aspects for a least a couple of months. Second would be medical supplies (obviously YMMV depending on your or anyone you're caring for's health situation), but basically you should have the same kinds of things you'd already normally have on hand in a first aid kit, just more of it. Anything more serious than that is going to need specialized equipment and someone that knows how to use it. The guns/ammo/armor/nods would all come in after that, in that order.

I think it would be a safe wager to say most of the people here already have the kind of stuff you'd need on hand, just focus on getting more of it.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
This is a good point on the medical items. I recently picked up a field kit to have as a backup to my normal items. Of course any medication one has to take would become a major issue for most in 60-90 days depending on the details.

I have heard others say it and it’s true to some extent that we live in an unusually easy time in the US generally. There are many parts of the world that isn’t true in today. A true SHTF scenario would obliterate that “easy” life very quickly.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
I am not a "prepper" that is ready to survive for months on my own. I just have enough stuff to get by for a short period.

As far as prepping guns and ammo, I agree ammo could always be used to trade for other things, so I keep common calibers on hand. Keep spares of common gun parts, this is another reason I love ARs and Glocks, parts are cheap, easy to store, you never really expect that trigger spring to break, but it can.

Which gun helps you best in a prepping situation depends on the situation. If prepping can be viewed more like having tools in a tool box to help handle whatever may come up. Sometimes you need a screwdriver, sometimes you need a wrench, and sometimes you need a hammer

Having an AR in 223/556 and a pistol in 9 or 45 cal for self defense
Having an accurate and quiet 22lr to hunt small game
Having a pistol caliber carbine in a caliber that matches your pistol might help cover a wider range of uses and only a need to carry one type of bullet

The answer is, have one of everything available and be prepared to leave things behind that you don't need in whatever situation you are presented ;)

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
I like the idea of having a 22 also. It would just be further down the list. Of course a shotgun can similarly be used for small game although certainly louder.

I also agree on the being quite part and that is why a suppressor is on my list for 300 black. Being able to operate at night with night vision and be relatively quiet would be a major advantage in a SHTF scenario.

To your point the choices also play heavily into one’s location/situation. First the urban va rural and then of course availability of water along with the temperature extremes. Those are all critical variables along with others.

Last edited:

SandyShooter

Established Member
Aug 13, 2022
Gulf Coast
Having my house destroyed by Hurricane Sally about 3 years ago caused me to change my focus to the short term. As a lifelong resident of the coast, hurricanes are an expected occurrence and I have been involved as a first responder for multiple seasons.
I’m used to being involved in the aftermath and recovery. First in law enforcement and later in the oil and gas industry.
I typically only add a few non perishable items, water, snacks and load up on gasoline and Stabil.
Firearms are not purpose driven, but have ranged from duty (LE) to EDC (private sector).
After house was largely crushed by enormous pine (while I was in it. No fun) and two others made it impossible for me to drive out for 6 days, I was forced to camp out, inside for a few nights. I’m inside the police jurisdiction in a small city and spoke with the chief an hour or so after the tree came through the roof. I had only 2 neighbors at the time and only one was at home.
I realized that short term events, such as natural disasters are more likely to occur than a large social breakdown.
It caused me to decide what to keep handy and what could stay in the safe.
I decided that I wanted to use my BCM Jack Carbine copy as my primary long gun because I would need looter repellent more than game gathering capabilities in my situation and likely others.
So, I defaulted to an AR15 carbine and a hi cap 9MM that could be belt carried while I was out clearing driveway and street. I was more concerned about having a couple of hundred rounds of 5.56 ammo than thousands and 9MM as well. All in preloaded magazines.
Other’s situation will be different and they should tailor their prepping to meet the likely situations they will encounter. YMMV

Xero

Established Member
May 20, 2021
Auburn
I must not be understanding the question then because I don't see why you wouldn't want an AR-15.

Bullitprf

Established Member
Apr 23, 2017
prattville
I was thinking that my best choice might wind up being my Marlin 30-30 and a Glock 19. jmho
Glock 19 great choice,everybody has 9mm ammo. as the 30-30 great gun as long as ammo is available. That being said I really don't see it readily available from a downed adversary's gun IMHO

GoneToAle

Established Member
May 12, 2023
PikeCounty
I must not be understanding the question then because I don't see why you wouldn't want an AR-15.
The question begs opinions and options, nothing more.
I have AR’s and love ‘em. But I don’t plan for many gun battles.
My humble opinion is that a 30-30 and a 9mm sidearm would best serve me. That opinion extends to no one other than me. I do not presuppose the needs of others.
The OP only asks what others may think.