Is the AR/M4 the best option for Prepping?

Bwhite224

Established Member
Dec 5, 2021
Hoover, AL
Is it a good choice as your only firearm? Probably not. Does it have a viable role to fill? I think so.

I wouldn’t use it to pop squirrels, but it sure would be handy to have around to defend the home and family in a civil unrest/increased crime/looting type of situation.

PDren000

Established Member
Oct 17, 2019
Troy/Brundidge
I think one of the AR's main strengths as a general purpose/prepping rifle is that spare parts are everywhere. It's ubiquitous, easy to use, low-recoiling, effective, etc. But that doesn't mean it's the end-all be-all of long guns. I think it's probably the best rifle for a SHTF scenario that involves violence, but it shouldn't be your only gun. It's not concealable and you can't really hunt birds with it, and that's something to keep in mind. As far as rifles go, though, an AR-15 platform is probably the best when you factor in the prevalence of replacement parts. And of course, you can get an AR-10 in .308/6.5/whatever else.

Halfinch

Established Member
Jun 29, 2023
Anniston Alabama
for prepping. Get you a solid 22 rifle. Preferably a bolt gun. Put a silencer on it and get a bunch of cci standard ammunition. It’s quiter than a pellet gun you can carry a lot of ammo in your pocket and with a well placed shot you can take down a lot of stuff

Knewcomb

Established Member
Nov 13, 2020
Meridianville
I don’t think there is a perfect answer to this question. The main thing is are you proficient with whatever rifle you choose? Being useful for self defense and hunting would be important for the choice. Again though ones proficiency is likely much more important than the specific rifle. Having said the above if I was starting over today then I would spend funds for a SHTF situation in the following manner…..

-Daniel defense, CMMG, Sig or similar decent AR style rifle. Purchase multi caliber lower option with 5.56 and have a 2nd upper (~9”) in 300 black. Need at least 20 pmags and a comfortable sling. If funds weren’t limited I would just purchase 2 rifles in aforementioned calibers from the same maker to keep it simple.
-Spend the money for an acog for each rifle. There are many other choices on optics but in my experience the simplest is the acog. Aimpoint/eotech with magnifier isn’t bad but personal preference for me is an acog.
-Acquire at least 5k rounds of ammunition for 5.56 and 2k for 300 (mostly subsonic but mix 60/40) in reserve.
-Purchase night vision capability (thermal or PVS14 gen 3 preferred). I personally love thermals but have seen some significant ability to hide from those coming out of the Ukraine. Night vision is a super power.
-Get a good carrier and ceramic plates as body armor will be useful. Also a good tactical helmet.
-Get a silencer for the 300 rifle. Being relatively quite would be advantageous.
-Pick up a shotgun. A good ol’ Remington pump 870 is hard to beat. If going a little more on the self defense side a KSG is a good option although a Benelli M4 is good for self defense and can be used to hunt easily.
-Last would be a handgun as it has the lowest level of value in a SHTF scenario. Hard to beat the ultra reliable and inexpensive Glock 17 or 19. Some might purchase this higher on the list as it can be used for carry before SHTF situation but if it’s only for SHTF it’s a lower priority in my opinion. Also need at least 1k rounds of 9mm ammo.

Ammo could be used in trading. Having some spare parts for ones AR would also be valuable along with the potential to trade parts also. Of course I didn’t address food, medical or water needs.

Prepping is expensive! It’s a lot more than ones rifle choice.
Suppressed 300blk out of a shorter barrel has easily become my favorite platform.

Old Dog

Premium Member
Sep 23, 2023
Alabama
Is the AR/M4 the best platform for the average prepper to deal with a Shtf scenario? I say it's not.
All opinions are welcome.
Depending on your interpretation of shtf- (in home)for personal defense, a 12 or 20 ga pump with folding stock, an M-4 for is great choice for open area (like farm) but I built and like the Ruger Charger w/ brace and optics as a survival/bugout choice given it's size and the ability to pack 1000 rounds easily in a bag-defense or hunting food are possible and being honest you are more likely to survive on small game than hunting elk or deer.

aftac19

Established Member
Sep 23, 2022
Huntsville
Depending on your interpretation of shtf- (in home)for personal defense, a 12 or 20 ga pump with folding stock, an M-4 for is great choice for open area (like farm) but I built and like the Ruger Charger w/ brace and optics as a survival/bugout choice given it's size and the ability to pack 1000 rounds easily in a bag-defense or hunting food are possible and being honest you are more likely to survive on small game than hunting elk or deer.

I keep a 10.5 SBR with Hornady TAP Urban for people around the house. It sucks for a round but will not penetrate the walls.

Stumpy

Established Member
Jun 26, 2020
Cropwell, AL
If you are prepping for the EndTimesApocolypse then whatever the military and police use. Lot better to be able to scavenge off of them. Then again, isn't the DOD moving to some .27 caliber rifle round?

aftac19

Established Member
Sep 23, 2022
Huntsville
If you are prepping for the EndTimesApocolypse then whatever the military and police use. Lot better to be able to scavenge off of them. Then again, isn't the DOD moving to some .27 caliber rifle round?
We are but not happening anytime soon due to conflicts. Right now it’s being used in a DMR role.

Plainsman

Established Member
Oct 24, 2023
Calhoun County
It might have been mentioned earlier, but I think it depends on a lot of things. Here are some: budget, whether you are planning to bug out or in, whether you are willing to train with it (true with any gun), how easy it is to use for other family members, what other guns you would use instead of the AR.

I am leaning toward no AR, but a carbine to match my pistol caliber. Of course, a shotgun and a .22.

Chikn

Established Member
Sep 2, 2023
Opp
I dont need nuttin but my 1911 foty fibe. It won WW2 all by itself.

But seriously.
Are people still prepping? I been a prepper all my life, being the progeny of people who thrived through the great depression.
If you could have one gun make it a reliable 22lr.
If you can have two, make the second one an AR carbine in 5.56 or .223Wylde.
If you can have 3 make the third a 12ga pump shotgun, preferably one of high quality, such as remington 870 or an older Ithaca.