Knife Recommendations

Stumpy

Established Member
Jun 26, 2020
Cropwell, AL
My oldest daughter got an aviation position near the Bham Airport. She works in a non permissive environment meaning she cannot carry a gun. And quiet frankly she probably doesn't want to carry one on her body anyway. She works in a professional environment and I would at least like her to have a knife for self-defense. I take care of my knives and sharpen them frequently but I really don't know what's out there in today's market. I am looking for a three to four inch automatic or self opening knife preferably one where the blade doesn't swing out but retracts in and out. Preferably have a pocket clip. Any recommendations?

DoyleAlley

Established Member
Sep 15, 2022
Rainbow City, Al
Forget a knife for self defense. It works in movies and TV but unless the person holding it is VERY WELL trained, it will offer no benefit in an attack. In fact, the chance of even getting to it and opening it in a sudden attack is near nil. You'd be far better off buying her self defense classes.

masternave

Aug 9, 2023
Birmingham
1. Make sure that the person carrying is obeying all local laws
2. Make sure the person carrying has the willingness to carry and employ a knife to defend her person… and understands that it has to be in fear for her life.
3. I like the Shivworks offerings: the clinch pick and push dagger… both can be clipped easily.

A popular item a lot of people like is the Benchmade SOCP offering, it's got a great sheath, I'm just not crazy about ring knives. Degloving is nasty.