New to Birmingham area, range recommendations?

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Hoover tactical is indoor good range I find their stuff to be over priced.

I go to sentinel firearms it’s in tarrant which is not the best area but they are good people and for 18.50 you can shoot a lot.

Fop range is an outdoor range in pleasant grove, they have rifle and pistol ranges.

mbelcher987

Established Member
Dec 12, 2021
birmingham
FOP pleasant grove, $20 FFL transfers, outdoor range pistol ~10 yds, rifle ~100 yds public + membership options with multiple other private ranges

Hoover tactical, $35 transfer fee, indoor range. 25 yd pistol 75 yd rifle. No steel core ammo, and its an old grocery store so you don't get the normal 100 yd range for rifle.

Talladega Marksmanship park affiliated with the CMP- i.e. you can buy m1 Garands on site usually, 600 yd rifle range

Cahaba river WMA shooting range. I've never been here personally but I hear good things from friends.

coachwill

Established Member
Apr 8, 2021
Vestavia Hills
Cahaba WMA range is outstanding and you only have to have a wildlife management area permit or a hunting license to go. The range guys are good to talk to and make sure it stays safe unlike the old days of the wild west out there.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Cahaba WMA range is outstanding and you only have to have a wildlife management area permit or a hunting license to go. The range guys are good to talk to and make sure it stays safe unlike the old days of the wild west out there.

Haha oh I went there a time or three during the Wild West period. Yikes LOL!

coachwill

Established Member
Apr 8, 2021
Vestavia Hills
Haha oh I went there a time or three during the Wild West period. Yikes LOL!
Yeah I went one day and was the only one there for a long time that morning and then some doped out wannabe meth head showed up and while I was downrange changing out targets they opened up on the target right beside me. After I carefully made my way back to my hunting rifles I was shooting I never went back out there until it was completely reworked to what it is today.

theothermikeg

Established Member
Jan 19, 2022
Birmingham
Of the two I shoot at, I think FOP is the best bang for the buck, especially for handgun shooters. LOVE their rimfire and steel plate ranges. Brock's Gap is more expensive and you need a member to recommend you, but it's great if you like to shoot distance.

jMarine

Established Member
Feb 5, 2022
Pelham
Great place to shoot. Very clean and well kept