New to Hunting

Moose

Established Member
Apr 19, 2022
Huntsville
Depends on your hunting. But, it is hard to go wrong with a .270, 7mm mag, .308, 30-06 or similar cartridge in a bolt action with a solid 3x9 scope. You'd be set for most big game and you could use it for varmints if needed. Not to mention the ammo is available everywhere.

dc2010

Established Member
Apr 21, 2022
woodstock
6.5 creedmoor.- pros- shoot long range all day long, very accurate. Cons- finding the right ammo for the job and shot placement is everything. I've killed more deer in the last 3 years with my 6.5 than any other rifle i own, but I've also had to track the last 3 i've shot. Shot placement is everything. I went from having deer drop in their tracks using a soft point bullet 140 gr, to having to chase deer down with a 80 yard blood trail with Hornady 143 grain red tip. But now as mentioned above the 30-06, 270, 308 they are great as well. Saw my buddy shoot a 6 pt this year at 385 yards with a 270 browning BAR.

uechikid

Established Member
May 27, 2023
Theodore
I’m assuming you’re asking whats the best caliber. As stated above, there are lots of great choices. It’s really going to depend on what and where you’re hunting.
Is this for a grown man, a petite woman, a teenager, boy or girl? There are a lot of variables.
When it comes to gun manufacturers? Oh boy, that’s a whole other can of worms.
If you narrow down who it’s for and where and what you’ll be hunting, it will be much easier.

wardamneagle

Established Member
Nov 7, 2022
Auburn
A bolt action 308 is too good and too versatile not to have. It cannot be improved upon except with better handloads, it's common, cheap, and it's taken many animals and humans alike for a very long time. I read an article about a guy who lived in Alaska and after using magnums and big bores he sold them all off. He kept a 10mm long barreled pistol and a 308 Winchester. He said he had taken moose and other large game with the 308 successfully - I believe that because look at what poachers and soldiers commonly use in Africa - the 7.62 FAL. Pick any brand, but make sure it's a 308