Notice If You Go to the CMP Range to Shoot Handguns

Stumpy

Established Member
Jun 26, 2020
Cropwell, AL
CMP is a MARKSMANSHIP PARK. To shoot handguns on Range #4 at 15 yards you only need your eyes, ears, pistol(s) in case(s)with EMPTY CHAMBER INDICATORS, ammo and mags.
DO NOT WEAR A HOLSTER. Holstered pistols are not allowed at firing points. Take pistol from case, place pistol on counter, load it, chamber it fire it and when not firing lay it down on the counter in front of you. It stinks, but no defensive shooting involving drawing from your holster. Just abide by the rules and work on your marksmanship. The only time you can draw from a holster on the CMP property is if you are shooting a match at the Action Pistol Ranges. Having worked at an indoor range in the past and being an FI for over 25 years and after talking to the Range Officers about the crazy and stupid gun handling they see everyday, I totally understand why they have that rule. The 2nd Amendment may be a God given right but the the ability to handle a handgun safely is not a God given ability!

Bama55

Established Member
Oct 10, 2021
Woodstock, AL
Yep, safe gun handling is taught and learned. My education with guns started around age 5. My father taught me that I would get a whipping if I touched his .22 rifle or shotgun. He didn't own a handgun until he started as a police officer in 1963. He bought an S&W Combat Masterpiece, 4" Nickeled, that had been sent back to S&W, and the front sight changed to a Patridge with McGivern Gold Bead. A fantastic sight, by the way. I was 8 YOA by then, so my handgun education began. My father and brother taught me how to shoot with a Win Model 74, .22 Short only rifle (first year or this model made in 1939.) One of the finest .22 semi-auto rifles made, IMO. Daddy could lay an old Coke bottle down, and shoot through the neck knocking the bottom out of it at 25 yards, flip a dime in the air, and hit it, and other fancy, or trick shots, plus he rabbit and squirrel hunted with it. Both my brothers used it, and me, well I know I put several thousand rounds through it. I didn't mean for this to be an article. I meant to say safe gun handling should start to be taught at home. Heck, I'm old enough that we even had events in school about firearm safety. I also believe that it should be brought back to teaching in school too.