Outdoor ranges

White_Rose

Established Member
Nov 20, 2023
Huntsville, AL
What are the best outdoor ranges in northern AL? I’ve been to Hobbs island and like it a lot. Any other hidden gems
I've lived in Huntsville a long time, and I've been to Hobbs Island when the ferry ran, and also I've inner tubed over to it. Are you saying there is now an outdoor range on Hobbs Island? And if so, how do you get to it?

Wesleykey

Director of Product Enhancement
Nov 7, 2023
Alabama
I've lived in Huntsville a long time, and I've been to Hobbs Island when the ferry ran, and also I've inner tubed over to it. Are you saying there is now an outdoor range on Hobbs Island? And if so, how do you get to it?
No, not physically on the island.

Wesleykey

Director of Product Enhancement
Nov 7, 2023
Alabama
Back in the 80s Swan Creek was great. Not sure what it is like now. There was no supervision whatsoever when I shot there.
It got pretty bad. Guys would bring their beer and drink while they shot. It’s now managed by DCNR and the range is supervised. You need a hunting license, a fishing license, or a wildlife management permit to shoot.

White_Rose

Established Member
Nov 20, 2023
Huntsville, AL
It got pretty bad. Guys would bring their beer and drink while they shot. It’s now managed by DCNR and the range is supervised. You need a hunting license, a fishing license, or a wildlife management permit to shoot.
I must have been lucky. I never ran into people with beer or ones acting unsafe. Back in tha Day, we had a good time there without supervision but 2023 isn't the same. I'm glad it is managed.

Shootist00

Established Member
Aug 31, 2023
It’s now managed by DCNR and the range is supervised. You need a hunting license, a fishing license, or a wildlife management permit to shoot.
Or you need to be at least 65 years old then you are Age Exempt. No license needed.
I shoot there every week when it is open. That range is now closed until Feb 3 2024 for duck season. Now I have to go to one of the gun clubs I'm a member of. Much longer drive to get to either.

White_Rose

Established Member
Nov 20, 2023
Huntsville, AL
Or you need to be at least 65 years old then you are Age Exempt. No license needed.
I shoot there every week when it is open. That range is now closed until Feb 3 2024 for duck season. Now I have to go to one of the gun clubs I'm a member of. Much longer drive to get to either.
I have a friend who may buy one of my pistols; I'd like to take him to Swan Creek, but it seems kind of far to me personally, for weekly trips. He's 87, so needs no license :D Sharon Johnson park is not especially close either. Outdoor shooting is definitely what I prefer. I need some friends with a home range, conveniently located :)

cajunuahfan

Established Member
Oct 2, 2023
Etowah County
I'm new to Alabama and live in Etowah county. There is an outdoor range, Etowah/Owls Hollow Public Shooting Range run by the DCNR.
Anyone have any info on this range?