Primer shortage

The 10th Man

Established Member
Aug 13, 2021
Huntsville
I’m starting to find a few primers in stock at different places but prices still seem crazy. The only place i found online and in stock wanted $178 per thousand! Gun Broker is asking up to $250 for certain types!

Is anyone finding them both in stock and at fair prices?

LatterVersion

Established Member
Dec 14, 2021
Huntsville
Man, this sucks. Fortunately, I bought a lot when Trump was in office. I am starting to run low on some types, but $175/k makes me sick. I don't see supply or demand changing much over the next three years so I doubt prices or availability will improve much.

Joe Friday

Established Member
Jan 30, 2016
I’m starting to find a few primers in stock at different places but prices still seem crazy. The only place i found online and in stock wanted $178 per thousand! Gun Broker is asking up to $250 for certain types!

Is anyone finding them both in stock and at fair prices?
Years ago everyone thought I was crazy for buying bulk primers by the 10's of thousands. Well in most cases it was free shipping and the distributor would pick up the hazmat fee if you purchased enough at once... Not to mention the price was around a penny apiece...
Guess I should have bought a lottery ticket too...

The 10th Man

Established Member
Aug 13, 2021
Huntsville
Last edited by a moderator:

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Almost seems too good to be true. Will also only take Zelle and Paypal with a required $200 minimum purchase, makes me feel a little uneasy.
Oh yeah, that's definitely a scam then. Lots of scam sites have sprung up in the past two years to prey on panic buyers unfortunately.

Quickbeam

Established Member
Sep 26, 2021
Madison
Larry's West in huntsville has/had winchester spp 1k/$75. I picked one up. My last prior purchaset were $.015 per. When you consider Vista outdoors controls federal, remington, and cci, and that russian imports have been eliminated due to sanctions, one can see that prices will settle substantially higher than the past. My guess is around $60 per thousand for a few years to come.

theothermikeg

Established Member
Jan 19, 2022
Birmingham
My last primer purchase was from Midway. Lucked into 1000 CCI small rifle for $80 ++. (Perhaps lucked is the wrong word) Beware the too good to be true sites where everything is in stock at 2019 prices. They only accept Venmo or crypto payments.

Quickbeam

Established Member
Sep 26, 2021
Madison

jMarine

Established Member
Feb 5, 2022
Pelham
Wow this is great information! I’m so tired of all the primer price gouging! It’s unreal how much primers are going for now.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
I have randomly found SRP at Brownells and Midway in the last couple months, but sheesh they are like $110+ per 1000 with shipping and they sell out quickly

I have not seen any large rifle primers anywhere