Red dot screws loose

Bama55

Established Member
Oct 10, 2021
Woodstock, AL
Having an issue with my red dot screws coming loose. Does any one have suggestion on what type loctite to use.
Loctite Red if you will not be removing them, Blue if you will. Or, a dab of clear finger nail polish. Have used that many times on scope base, and ring, screws. It works just as good as Loctite.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Clear Finger nail polish is a great idea, never thought of that. Does it break loose easy if your trying to remove.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Sweet, Ill try that next time.

I guess I thought red was easier to crack loose then Blue was, I hope he just uses a dab of either or it will likely be an issue trying to remove it later.

Bama55

Established Member
Oct 10, 2021
Woodstock, AL
Sweet, Ill try that next time.

I guess I thought red was easier to crack loose then Blue was, I hope he just uses a dab of either or it will likely be an issue trying to remove it later.
Yep, Red is the stronger one. They also have one that they use on engine cylinder sleeves. I can't recall the name, but it requires a lot of heat to remove. LOL

Bama55

Established Member
Oct 10, 2021
Woodstock, AL
Yep, works and is cheap. I should have said "cheap" finger nail polish to begin with. Some of those brands are pricey. LOL

bamabum

Staff member
Oct 19, 2020
Wedowee
For scopes/red dots, I prefer the blue, specifically Blue 242. Note that most, if not all, come in a red container so look at the label color and NOT the bottle/tube color.

Reds are the strongest, followed by Blues, followed by Purples. There are also different classifications/strengths in the different colors so pay attention to how strong each is within the color family.

From the Loctite website...

Loctite threadlockers are primarily designed to prevent fasteners from leaking or loosening from vibration. The difference between red and blue threadlocker is a matter of strength and removability. Loctite threadlocker blue is designed to easily be replaceable with common tools, whereas red is a more permanent fix. If you have trouble keeping it straight, here’s a helpful rhyme to jog your memory: “Blue, easy to make new. Red, full strength ahead!”

For a hold that can be easily removed, Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 is the hero. It’s perfect for motorized and nonmotorized parts that need occasional servicing, like car parts (oil pans, water pumps, etc), or even motorized yard equipment, bicycles, furniture and much more.

For parts that need a more permanent hold, like structural bolts in a home, auto suspensions and frames, or any other heavy machinery, Loctite Threadlocker Red 271 is the answer. This industrial grade threadlocker packs a stronger punch than the blue and can only be removed by heating the parts to 500F.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
Blue or finger nail polish, both work for screws you want to get back off

also make sure you have a proper way to measure the inch pounds of force you are applying to the screw and apply the right amount per factory recommendation

Rayd8

Established Member
Army
Feb 11, 2019
Rocket City
I wouldn’t use red loctite on anything scope related. Red= El Diablo to remove.

Blue loctite is fine and works well.

I’d advise folks to use it on holster screws that tend to come loose.