something smells fishy

scooter

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2022
Lamar County
I was wondering if there was any way to add a level of security to this sight, as to ferret out any unwanted personnel? some of the reply's that I see seam "fishy", maybe it's just me, or maybe it's since someone got raided by the enemy, I have no problem supplying my CCW permit or driver's license # to the administrator to be a member, this is a wonderful sight, it gives us enthusiast an avenue to easily trade on items that we are all interested in, I also have no problem with a small annual fee as to establish that I am a private person, and a resident of the great state of Alabama, and not a person on a fishing trip for some bullshit entity. This is only my opinion, don't hate me for the concern or comments.

NMS1

Established Member
Nov 15, 2020
Waldo, AL
Man I just saw the alphabet thread, I agree 100% on needing an extra level of security. I finally get the time to start posting more often and this place becomes a ghost town!

texkev

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Feb 3, 2022
Texas
I don't disagree that things may need to change, The new ad system will be a massive help. The programmer guy has it on his list so coming very soon. It may be coming time to do a members-based-only forum. However as far as pay, etc. There is like 1 site supporter here now and few to hardly any before my time. The massive hang-up to a paid member forum is folks will not pay.

DoyleAlley

Established Member
Sep 15, 2022
Rainbow City, Al
It may be coming time to do a members-based-only forum. However as far as pay, etc. There is like 1 site supporter here now and few to hardly any before my time. The massive hang-up to a paid member forum is folks will not pay.
I can absolutely tell you that the end result of a pay-only forum will be one with almost no members - who'll then leave due to lack of activity. A slightly different approach might work if you need to generate revenue. I've been a member of the Mississippi Gun Owners forum for many years. It got bought out by Blackbeard a few years ago and they run it now by having side-board ads with an ad optout for members who are willing to pay a fairly reasonable subscription fee. As to paying keeping an ABC agency out - no way that's going to happen. Whatever payment they would have to make to gain access to a potential target group would be chump-change to them.

tbk5

Established Member
Jun 21, 2018
Springville, AL
All public internet forums are, ahem, public. We can safely assume that they are monitored and post accordingly. For me, the larger issue is scammers.

There are successful forums with fees. The nominal annual fee gives a member perks. The example I am thinking of is northeastshooters.com in New England. It has a large member base. One must be a member (? ~$20/yr) to post in the classifieds. Any registered person (free) can buy. Members have access to member only subforums, karmas, monthly gun give aways, car shoots, forum cookouts, etc.. Dealer memberships were $99/yr. It is a regional forum based out of NH but most of the activity seems to be from MA members. (I guess they have a lot more to talk about because of the crazy anti-2A laws there.)

I haven't been a paid member (they call it going green) since I moved out of the area but I still participate in that forum daily as a registered user. There is a lot more off topic talk. There are lots of self organized dinner get togethers. It has become a forum based social club. It is amazing how often the NES community stepped up to help a member in need. It is unlike any of the other dozen gun forums I follow.

Fees do help with scammers. Admins can investigate illicit activities through the payment info. What I observed being a member there for 15+ years is that it is the scammers that will not pay a fee to sell (scam). Many thousands of people are paid members and enjoy the perks. As many are just registered users.

For AGF, I think it goes back to what does this forum want to be. The answer can and probably should change over time. Kudos to the admins for maintaining the site and asking for input for how it is run.

daveinalabama

Established Member
Air Force
May 17, 2021
Huntsville, AL
I second the kudos for the admin work that goes on here! Lots of good interaction, and the vast majority of it is civil and respectful.

As for the buyer/seller scammers, It's incumbent on you to sort that out by asking questions, and perhaps asking for credentials, whether that's an ID, CC permit, or bill of sale. Additionally, face-to-face in a safe area and cash only is wise as long as you're looking for counterfeit bills. I've had people drop contact with me when I ask for credentials. But, it offers a level of liability protection for you and it may keep bad actors away from you

DrMark

Established Member
Dec 9, 2023
Alabama
Folks that are nervous about freedom-style transactions can always do transfers through an FFL if they're seeking additional feelings of security.

If you're buying from me, I'd want to see ID to indicate you're a state resident, but I don't wish to record any of your info (name, address, bill of sale, etc.). I don't appreciate the Gov't recording info on folks for exercising fundamental civil rights, so I don't intend to do that myself.

Wesleykey

Director of Product Enhancement
Nov 7, 2023
Alabama
Yall are funny. I had one "guy" who wanted to buy a gun from me, at least until he had my phone number, etc. Then he started calling after midnight accusing me of being ATF. Every site has its weirdos. Live with 'em or get off the site.

RaySendero

Established Member
Feb 5, 2024
USsouth
Been on many sites - Trust your administration and use that report button!

Admin, Also would be good for everyone to know how to report problems and abuse with private messages?!

Ricochet

Jan 20, 2024
Auburn
Folks that are nervous about freedom-style transactions can always do transfers through an FFL if they're seeking additional feelings of security.

If you're buying from me, I'd want to see ID to indicate you're a state resident, but I don't wish to record any of your info (name, address, bill of sale, etc.). I don't appreciate the Gov't recording info on folks for exercising fundamental civil rights, so I don't intend to do that myself.
I agree with this completely. I bought and sold a few guns on Florida Gun Trader entirely at my own discretion.
I chose not surrender my autonomy to the gatekeepers in our society.
I recently had the FFL I chose here in Alabama for a transfer of avrfile I bought online and he decided to hold my rifle hostage because even though the law allows someone from out of state to buy a rifle, his FFLship decided not to abide by the law and only sell to Alabama residents out of fear of tmaking a mistake and being targeted by the ATF.
And here I thought the 2nd ammendment was so the government would fear the people but nowadays is the other way around.
Freedom is but an illusion at this point.
So whatever little bit left I want to exercise it.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
In terms of why one should check a drivers license in a firearm sale…..Maybe I’m wrong, but in most states for a long gun purchase the buyer should from a neighbor state to Alabama or be an Alabama resident. Although even then I believe one has to go through an FFL in that case. For example, if I purchased a shotgun from an individual in Florida across in Pensacola I can do that through an FFL in that state but not take possession directly from an individual. For a handgun the FFL in Florida would have to transfer it back to my local Alabama FFL. Now if that seller is in Alabama and has crossed the state line with the shotgun in question it’s a little more interesting in that as a buyer I don’t normally ask to see the ID of a seller here in the state of my residence.

I’m not a lawyer nor do I play one at work, so take it for what it’s worth. If I were selling a firearm I personally would only do so to an Alabama resident. Thus the need to see a drivers license or some form of valid ID. I have bought a number of long guns in neighboring states mostly at gun auctions and in those cases I always had to go through an FFL as an out of state buyer. However there was no transfer requirement to an FFL in Alabama as there would have been if I had purchased a handgun.

Last edited:

kwb377

Established Member
Dec 16, 2019
B'ham
I had an individual email me this morning concerning an AR I have listed here and Armslist. He claims to live in Panama City, FL and since it would be somewhat of a drive to come pick it up wanted me to send more pics.

It's just a M&P15 with an aftermarket handguard...not anything special or rare. I find it odd that he wants to make a 10 hour round trip to buy something that surely could be found much closer for about the same price. I figure it's either:

- A scam/robbery attempt, or...

- ATF fishing for people selling to out-of-state residents.

I trashed it without rescinding. Anyone else get a similar contact lately?

edit to add:
Hi,

I saw your posting for S&W M&P15 and am interested in it. The hitch would be that I live in Panama City, Florida so I would be making a pretty long drive to come pick it up. Because of that, I was hoping that you could possibly send me some more pictures so I can get a better look at the rifle.

Thanks,
Mxxx Sxxxx {name redacted}