What’s your favorite Deer Hunting Rifle?

Zerofoxtrot

Established Member
Aug 1, 2023
Athens
I so many. Like picking a favorite child. Love my Ruger American 308. Accurate & light.
This is the budget 1000 yard gun. For affordable precision shooting, this is the recommended starting point. Grab one with AR style mags and you have a gun that’ll drop a buck in the morning, and place in precision shooting competitions in the afternoon.

masternave

Aug 9, 2023
Birmingham
I've had a Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308 that I've taken out the last few times.

Now… I haven't seen a dang thing with it so maybe it's cursed… but it's handy enough in the scrubby brush.

rkflorey

Established Member
Jul 28, 2023
AL
Ruger American in 6.5 Grendel with 1 x 8 Strike Eagle. Light ,very accurate, and never had a deer Go more than 15 yds after being hit with 107 gr green tip Sierra's.
Unless it's close brush and then with 300 blk out and light supersonic bullets

Chikn

Established Member
Sep 2, 2023
Opp
I've killed them with many cartridges, both handgun and rifle. 30-06 comes out on top for me, every time all the time. Doc says I shouldn't shoot it anymore so...
Gonna try 450BM subsonic in Ruger American, and .357 Herret in 14" TC Contender.
They've eat my garden every year for 3 years...no more grace.

Brad B

Established Member
Mar 23, 2019
Haleyville
My son purchased a 450B two years ago but hasn't shot a deer with it yet. I'm eager to see what it will do at different ranges. The straight wall cartridge rounds are starting to pick up in popularity down here in the south and I've been tossing the idea around. 450B for now seems to be the most popular and easy to find ammo
The 450 is not a long range rifle but around 200 yards and under it’s hard to beat.

Brad B

Established Member
Mar 23, 2019
Haleyville
I've killed them with many cartridges, both handgun and rifle. 30-06 comes out on top for me, every time all the time. Doc says I shouldn't shoot it anymore so...
Gonna try 450BM subsonic in Ruger American, and .357 Herret in 14" TC Contender.
They've eat my garden every year for 3 years...no more grace.
I love my 450BM, mine is on the AR Platform.

Mississippi97

Established Member
Jan 5, 2021
Mobile/Baldwin County
Savage 99 .243 win. I’ve got some older Leupold VXII glass on it. It was my Dad’s deer rifle when I was young. I’ve taken a few with it too. Still my favorite, he gave it to me years ago when he got a 30-06 742 Woodsmaster at a good deal. He had one in the 70s and sold it when things got tight so he had wanted another one when he could afford it. He rarely bough himself anything. We have his 742 and the 7400 I gave him about 20 years ago. My brother hunts with the 7400, our Dad gave it to him a few years before he died. I got my wife a 6.5 Grendel upper for her AR and she took a big doe at 80 yds with it a couple years ago. I’d like to take one with it myself soon.

coldboar

Dec 6, 2023
birmingham
savage axis 270 primarily because i took my first at 300 yards with it. The 270 has a fairly flat trajectory and low wind drift making tough shots harder to miss.