What are y’all’s favorite gun vendors in the Birmingham area? (Jefferson County)

kentTHEkegger

Established Member
Nov 23, 2021
Bessemer, Alabama
I’m just getting an idea of places I should look. Online vendors aren’t always very fruitful for me because I tend to look for older guns. Nichol’s Outfitters in Pelham was recently recommended to me. If anyone has experience there I’d like to hear it. I’m from Bessemer and have been shopping at Simmon’s for a long time. No real complaints there, except they don’t seem to have many used, military surplus, or even older guns these days.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Check out Hoover Tactical Firearms’ used gun selection. Over the last few months they’ve had some nice older pieces, some of them on consignment.

DB35114

Established Member
Oct 3, 2021
Alabaster
I have been shopping at nichols for years always have had good service and prices are reasonable.to me they are similar to Simmons good business and good people working there,been awhile since I have been to Hoover tactical but last time I was there no one seemed interested in helping me at the gun counter as they stood talking to each other,was in marks outdoors few weeks ago good selection on everything well staffed but be patient it is crowed at times.the armory in Pelham I will never set foot in it again went in 2years ago for castle nut,end plate,carbine buffer tube , he rang it up said that will be$80.00.I said no it won’t walked out.ammo overpriced along with there guns.family pawn in alabaster I check regularly that’s were I found my ruger redhawk I negotiated it to $800 out the door. Just don’t expect but half on a trade in it is a pawn shop.but they do want todo business.all of this is just my opinion and experience with these places

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
^^ Gotta admit - I’ve had similar experiences at the Hoover Tactical sales counter. Things seem to have improved there recently. The range folks there are just about always on-point and helpful.

Dutch

Established Member
Feb 6, 2016
Albertville
I have bought several guns at Birmingham Pistol Wholesale in Trussville. I'm not sure about old pistols because I usually only look at the newer stuff but I think he has some old military rifles.

Wooddux1

Established Member
Dec 24, 2021
Hueytown
Simmons to me has went downhill. Waited 30 mins last week to buy a scope, never got waited on. Marks, has some used older guns in at times,but normally crowded. I live in oak Grove and have started going to woods and waters. Most of my purchases are online and sent to a friend with FFL.

DuaneW

Established Member
Jun 1, 2021
Talladega County
I’m just getting an idea of places I should look. Online vendors aren’t always very fruitful for me because I tend to look for older guns. Nichol’s Outfitters in Pelham was recently recommended to me. If anyone has experience there I’d like to hear it. I’m from Bessemer and have been shopping at Simmon’s for a long time. No real complaints there, except they don’t seem to have many used, military surplus, or even older guns these days.
Birmingham Pistol Wholesale in Trussville usually has lots of used guns.

BC1911

Established Member
Jul 24, 2022
Wilsonville
Precision Tactical has been a great local shop and they just opened a new location on HWY. 280, also the HDC Hunt store on HWY 119 (right off of HWY 280) is a good one.

dc2010

Established Member
Apr 21, 2022
woodstock
Precision Tactical has been a great local shop and they just opened a new location on HWY. 280, also the HDC Hunt store on HWY 119 (right off of HWY 280) is a good one.
PTAC is way too high. i walked in there and bought a box of 22 lr.....thats all i could afford at those prices.

dc2010

Established Member
Apr 21, 2022
woodstock
Simmons in bessemer. or The Armory in Pelham. I like The Armory, Mr.Larry knows his stuff and is really friendly and helpful. Not to mention it is just awesome to walk in his store and see all the war memorabilia! And as the other fella said yes it was kind of expensive, but it was quality work.