What are your thoughts?

Bamaj

Established Member
Aug 21, 2022
Arab
Do you think the way social media is cracking down on for sale threads, especially relating to firearms, will bring back the popularity of message forums?

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Most of the social media sites have already stopped firearm sales. Gun Broker and Armslist are still players although both have majors issues in my view.

Forums like this are a good answer to connect sellers/buyers. I’ve purchased several firearms through this site. I also look at places such as AR-15.com, but I generally prefer local sales vs going through dealers. Just too many scams out there for the shipping route.

texkev

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Feb 3, 2022
Texas
I know MEWE caved, not a surprise though. It seems across the board from what I have seen yes on increases.

wood2160

Established Member
Jul 31, 2022
Mobile
I don’t think it will hurt the online forums, but at the same time it makes it an easy target for the internet watchers. FB won’t even let you send pictures of arms anymore if you want to trade or anything.

tbk5

Established Member
Jun 21, 2018
Springville, AL
It's simple for me. I don't use anti-social media. I'm not a parrot that only repeats what you want me to say. I don't need it to find false friends. Forums have always been useful for info on specific topics. They have become a little more "facebooky" at times on off topic threads but I can live with that because on topic threads are not censored.

Bamaj

Established Member
Aug 21, 2022
Arab
I have been an arfcom member for a LONG time. I have always preferred forums vs social media. I know in some of the dog hunting groups, FB is closing groups that allowed members to sell hunting dogs. I greatly appreciate forums like this that allow local sales. I always tried to buy/sell/trade locally through arfcom if possible.

Xero

Established Member
May 20, 2021
Auburn
Most of the social media sites have already stopped firearm sales. Gun Broker and Armslist are still players although both have majors issues in my view.

Forums like this are a good answer to connect sellers/buyers. I’ve purchased several firearms through this site. I also look at places such as AR-15.com, but I generally prefer local sales vs going through dealers. Just too many scams out there for the shipping route.
Is Armslist really still a player? Charging everyone for their stated reasons seems lame.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Is Armslist really still a player? Charging everyone for their stated reasons seems lame.
Still lots of firearms available for sale through it. I bought one last week. Definitely not as good as it once was however.

Roadkill

Established Member
Dec 3, 2021
Alabama
I have been an arfcom member for a LONG time. I have always preferred forums vs social media. I know in some of the dog hunting groups, FB is closing groups that allowed members to sell hunting dogs. I greatly appreciate forums like this that allow local sales. I always tried to buy/sell/trade locally through arfcom if possible.

Same here (2003) - no use for anything but this type of forum. I have no intent to ever purchase through a FFL again. And i absolutely see a rise in this type of forum.

dmo930

Established Member
Oct 30, 2022
Dothan, AL
It keeps getting more difficult to buy and sell person to person. Seems like a big push to have all firearm sales go through an FFL. I recently joined this forum to try and buy and sale person to person.

DoyleAlley

Established Member
Sep 15, 2022
Rainbow City, Al
I belong to the Mississippi Gun Owners forum. It is extremely active (sometimes too-much so with off-topic discussions) and buying/selling is very active there. I think this forum could be also with a little more membership.