Working on my first AR 15 build it will be a 300 blackout pistol. Any advice would be appreciated.

bamabum

Staff member
Oct 19, 2020
Randolph County
Regarding a torque wrench, you should never use a torque wrench to remove anything (affects torque wrench calibration and not a recommended best practice). Also, when installing a muzzle device, you typically "time" the replacement using a crush washer. I do, however, use a torque wrench on barrel installation, torqueing, loosening, re-torqueing, loosening and re-torqueing a third time, as per military specs. Besides the basics already mentioned, a good automatic (spring loaded) center punch (think Starrett, preferably the 18C) makes castle nut staking a breeze. I often also use the MOACKS gas key knurled set screws with the MOACKS staking tool to ensure proper gas key staking.

Last edited:

Chouse2001

Established Member
Dec 24, 2020
Trussville
both are 7.5 in barrels one 1:7 twist one 1:8 I do want to make it versatile so was unsure. Both PSA and same price so not sure what I'm missing, any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
both are 7.5 in barrels one 1:7 twist one 1:8 I do want to make it versatile so was unsure. Both PSA and same price so not sure what I'm missing, any advice would be appreciated.
At the beginning of covid I built my 1st pistol & spent double the price I researched & planned for. Now I didn’t skimp on the BCG, charging handle, or barrel. I love the 7.5 it is the best feeling pistol I own it’s far more versatile than people give it credit for.
Then I met bearcreakarsenol.com
Bought upper for another AR chambered in 7.62x39 in 10.5 inch with BCG & charging handle FOR $280.”taxes & shipping “. I was skeptical but love it as much as the high end I built myself. So much so I bought another 7.62x39 in the 7.5 inch & it runs the same as the other 2. I honestly haven’t seen the advantage to buying top tier equipment. Except if you ran something like a 7.62x39 in the Ar platform the magazines are very important!! Good luck to you

closing

Keep most Sales within Alabama and on this Forum.
Mar 22, 2021
Montevallo Alabama
At the beginning of covid I built my 1st pistol & spent double the price I researched & planned for. Now I didn’t skimp on the BCG, charging handle, or barrel. I love the 7.5 it is the best feeling pistol I own it’s far more versatile than people give it credit for.
Then I met bearcreakarsenol.com
Bought upper for another AR chambered in 7.62x39 in 10.5 inch with BCG & charging handle FOR $280.”taxes & shipping “. I was skeptical but love it as much as the high end I built myself. So much so I bought another 7.62x39 in the 7.5 inch & it runs the same as the other 2. I honestly haven’t seen the advantage to buying top tier equipment. Except if you ran something like a 7.62x39 in the Ar platform the magazines are very important!! Good luck to you
I actually had 2 BCA uppers both on PSA lowers just an upper slapped on a lower a 16in rifle and a 7.5in pistol both 5.56, I miss the pistol a little. both ran great until the 16in had some hammer spring issues but a friend helped me fix that with some spare springs he had. So the uppers where good. I just checked them and they had some side charging 7.62x39 out of stock of course. That does interest me but I have little experience with 7.62x39 and I know most people prefer a rear charging handle for ambi use is what I guess, not sure if it affects reliability.

closing

Mar 22, 2021
Montevallo Alabama
Regarding a torque wrench, you should never use a torque wrench to remove anything (affects torque wrench calibration and not a recommended best practice). Also, when installing a muzzle device, you typically "time" the replacement using a crush washer. I do, however, use a torque wrench on barrel installation, torqueing, loosening, re-torqueing, loosening and re-torqueing a third time, as per military specs. Besides the basics already mentioned, a good automatic (spring loaded) center punch (think Starrett, preferably the 18C) makes castle nut staking a breeze. I often also use the MOACKS gas block knurled set screws with the MOACKS staking tool to ensure proper gas key staking.
This is really good advice, because I did not know all that with the torque wrench. This will help send me in the right direction for research also to be looking at some quality tools before the ar parts probably. I think the gas block intimidates me the most. Thank you for this appreciate it a lot!

bamabum

Staff member
Oct 19, 2020
Randolph County
@Gunby - in my post #21, I incorrectly wrote "gas block" when discussing the MOACKS knurled set screws. I have edited that to say "gas key", which is a part of the bolt carrier group. For the actual gas block, there are many types of fasteners used, including pins, set screws, clamped, or a combination, and it goes even further regarding whether to dimple the barrel or not when set screws are used. They also make a special jig to help when tapping the roll pin into the block and through the gas tube but it can be done without the jig if you are careful and gently tap the pin. Most of us learned by doing and reading, and watching videos online. I have done many things incorrectly the last 15+ years of AR building and all have been learning events to continue to grow and understand better techniques. Good luck in your build.

closing

Mar 22, 2021
Montevallo Alabama
This may be a silly question but what is everyone's thoughts on a cheek ar pistol, using only a padded buffer tube no brace. It would be a short distance defensive weapon for mainly very close to my house or in my house if I am very bad spot.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
This may be a silly question but what is everyone's thoughts on a cheek ar pistol, using only a padded buffer tube no brace. It would be a short distance defensive weapon for mainly very close to my house or in my house if I am very bad spot.
I don't really see the point now that pistol braces are an established thing. It's possible ATF will change their mind on them (and are currently in the process of trying to) but braces are so common how and have so much public support I don't see them ever really going away and suspect any attempt to ban or restrict them will be met with mass noncompliance.

bamabum

Staff member
Oct 19, 2020
Randolph County
I have numerous AR pistols and have chosen to be ready to adapt and change, if required, by having spare padded tubes ready to be installed. For now, I primarily have SBA3 and SBA4 adjustable braces but have also built a few with just the padded tubes. I do prefer the cheek weld of the braces as it obviously gives me a better line of sight and simply feels more comfortable and easier to position. I will hang on to my braces as long as possible until we see which way the ATF winds blow.

bamabum

Staff member
Oct 19, 2020
Randolph County
@Gunby - a couple of my 9" 300 BLK PDWs below. Can't tell you how they shoot because these two have never been fired. Just thought I would provide some "inspiration". Both are Sig uppers built on Sig M400/516 stripped lowers, with Sig MSR red dots, SBA4 braces, and ALG Defense handguards and ALG ACT triggers. I also chose to add the labeled port door covers to ensure I don't get confused on caliber, as there are many similarities in 223/556 and 300 BLK/AAC, so special considerations are needed to prevent caliber confusion.

Attachments

• SigM400_Twins_300_Blkouts.jpg
    SigM400_Twins_300_Blkouts.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 7

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
@Gunby - a couple of my 9" 300 BLK PDWs below. Can't tell you how they shoot because these two have never been fired. Just thought I would provide some "inspiration". Both are Sig uppers built on Sig M400/516 stripped lowers, with Sig MSR red dots, SBA4 braces, and ALG Defense handguards and ALG ACT triggers. I also chose to add the labeled port door covers to ensure I don't get confused on caliber, as there are many similarities in 223/556 and 300 BLK/AAC, so special considerations are needed to prevent caliber confusion.
I've heard those ALG handguards are really nice; for those that don't know ALG Defense is Bill Geissle's daughter's company and acts as a kind of "consumer grade" version of Geissle.

closing

Mar 22, 2021
Montevallo Alabama
Thanks I really appreciate your time and effort helping me.

Sam O

Established Member
Feb 3, 2016
Eva, AL
I have an AR9 that I built, at the time I built it I think braces still going back and forth about being legal or not, so I went with a Thordsen cheek rest. It’s really pretty comfortable and still easy to shoulder, I put it on an extended Midwest industries buffer tube.
The bottom one in the picture is the AR9, this just happened to be the only picture on my phone that I have of it.
1642175209956.jpeg

Sam O

Established Member
Feb 3, 2016
Eva, AL
I've heard those ALG handguards are really nice; for those that don't know ALG Defense is Bill Geissle's daughter's company and acts as a kind of "consumer grade" version of Geissle.
ALG rails are by far my favorite, the middle gun in the picture on my previous post has an ALG rail on it.

closing

Mar 22, 2021
Montevallo Alabama
I have an AR9 that I built, at the time I built it I think braces still going back and forth about being legal or not, so I went with a Thordsen cheek rest. It’s really pretty comfortable and still easy to shoulder, I put it on an extended Midwest industries buffer tube.
The bottom one in the picture is the AR9, this just happened to be the only picture on my phone that I have of it.
View attachment 4491
I really like that ar 9 you have and yeah that is what I was kinda looking for in a cheek rest. Looks like a really solid build