Hoover Gun Show

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Wait, this weekend? Ugh. I need to check the calendar on this stuff more often. I’d go if I could, it’s been a while and I enjoyed that venue.

dc2010

Established Member
Apr 21, 2022
woodstock
i have been to all of them there this year, i guess ill go to this ome as well. just in case you didnt know, if you go on sunday after lunch, you will get the best deals. people knock off serval hundred $$ to keep from taking stuff back home with them.

dc2010

Established Member
Apr 21, 2022
woodstock
well i went today, didnt buy anything. unfortunately everything was overpriced. and there really wasnt much to choose from unless you like to spend $3K plus. i found a 22 mag for 250 ask the guy if he would take less no. says he normally sells them for 400. h had a single shot rossi 410 wanted $200. found a good deal on a mossberg patrol rifle 308 went back to get it it was sold. wasnt very much to choose from.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
I went this afternoon as well. Saw lots of things and almost all were substantially overpriced and many ridiculous levels. It didn’t look like there were many transactions happening so it makes one wonder why the vendors keep prices so high but maybe there are more sales than I’m aware of at this show.

I did manage to buy a used ACOG at not a terrible price (at least compared to the price I paid recently for a new one on sale). I have grown to love ACOGs way too much but I can’t seem to help it.

dc2010

Established Member
Apr 21, 2022
woodstock
saw a looked like a 1950 leupold scope, i figured oh you know that guy probably wants $50-75...maybe $100 tops....man was i wrong, he wanted $400 for that thing. i said my gosh i can go buy a brand new one for that. but i did see an acog there for $500.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
I bet thats the one I bought. The guy was asking $500 but he took $425. Pretty beat up but tritium was good.

I saw one new ACOG and the guy wanted $1200. I bought one on sale for $900 last week.

kmann

Established Member
Feb 6, 2022
Gardendale
I love the gun shows but I pretty much just go to them as a form of entertainment rather than a shopping trip. It’s a good opportunity to fondle guns I haven’t yet seen in person and there’s usually cool stuff and some good people watching opportunities… but if I’m looking for deals I’ll wait about two days for the buyers remorse to kick in and the used market to get flooded.

kmann

Established Member
Feb 6, 2022
Gardendale
most folks now days have a sign that says ask before touching.
I’ve seen a few with signs posted but not the majority- no skin off my nose either way, unless it’s a massive table with everyone picking something up where it’s an understood acceptable thing, I always ask.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Oh, wow. I remember a gun being fired at a BJCC show several years back; thankfully no one was hurt, sounds like the same outcome at Hoover this weekend. Still, yikes…

Wooddux1

Established Member
Dec 24, 2021
Hueytown
If I had two or three guns I thought about selling as an individual would it be worth renting a table?
Depends on show. CASC is hit or miss. The one in Dec I did really well, but since the met has gone cashless for entry lots of folks left. Ala Gun collectors is usually larger. I usually have 4 to five tables, so you'd be welcome to put them there . Tables usually run 65 to 75 each.