Poll: Expand to other states?

Should we change name and Expand to other states?

• Yes

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 50 83.3%

• Total voters

bamabum

Staff member
Oct 19, 2020
Wedowee
TheOutdoorsTrader, with more than 103,000 members and primarily focused in Georgia, has been trying to expand into Alabama (and a few other states) for years with almost zero success. I still do more "business" over there, even though recently moving to Alabama full time, but it is a real pain (not to mention more expensive) to do true gun sales out of state.

My vote is no on additional time/effort/resources on other states and, instead, spend the money on attracting visitors here and growing what you have started. A big draw over "there" has always been the giveaways, some owner sponsored and some from private individuals. I would personally donate a few items to a group giveaway day if you take the time to set it up and plan ahead, letting folks know to engage in a thread in order to be included in some Random Number Generator giveaway, based on the thread number (using the top right number on the thread).

I also have owned several forums through my 20+ years of internet-based businesses and giving back to the members was always money well spent.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
I’ve never been one to run or manage contest or giveaways. I don’t always have the time day to day to manage it either but if you have time to walk me through it I would appreciate any help.
TheOutdoorsTrader, with more than 103,000 members and primarily focused in Georgia, has been trying to expand into Alabama (and a few other states) for years with almost zero success. I still do more "business" over there, even though recently moving to Alabama full time, but it is a real pain (not to mention more expensive) to do true gun sales out of state.

My vote is no on additional time/effort/resources on other states and, instead, spend the money on attracting visitors here and growing what you have started. A big draw over "there" has always been the giveaways, some owner sponsored and some from private individuals. I would personally donate a few items to a group giveaway day if you take the time to set it up and plan ahead, letting folks know to engage in a thread in order to be included in some Random Number Generator giveaway, based on the thread number (using the top right number on the thread).

I also have owned several forums through my 20+ years of internet-based businesses and giving back to the members was always money well spent.

bamabum

Staff member
Oct 19, 2020
Wedowee
@RandallC - how about this., starting simple...

You create a thread topic for giveaways and I'll gladly post the first giveaway of a brand new Toolcraft 556 bolt carrier group, shipped on my dime. At 10 PM next Saturday, we can lock the thread. Every member with at least 10 posts, can enter/comment "I'm in" (or something similar) but only once in the thread. After 10 PM, either you or I can use an RNG to randomly generate a number from 1 to X (X=number of total entries). The random number is associated with the thread count post number, the winner is then validated as having only one entry (if more, disqualify that person and choose another winner), and I'll send the item via USPS. In the future, the person doing the giveaway can change the "rules" to suit them, such as an extra vote for Veterans or LEO, etc.

Let me know what you (or others) suggest. Let's get this party started!

LatterVersion

Established Member
Dec 14, 2021
Huntsville
It would all depend on the structure of the forum. As long as the forum is broken up properly most issues pointed out above would be solved. There would need to be a balance (completely duplicating each set of forums under a separate state header vs. completely integrating all forums to cover the entire area with multiple states).

I think it would be nice to have the ability to look at other locations and have a common format and common set of rules and expectations.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
It would all depend on the structure of the forum. As long as the forum is broken up properly most issues pointed out above would be solved. There would need to be a balance (completely duplicating each set of forums under a separate state header vs. completely integrating all forums to cover the entire area with multiple states).

I think it would be nice to have the ability to look at other locations and have a common format and common set of rules and expectations.
The thing about state lines is that it has to be shipped via ffl.

Dan the Man

Established Member
Nov 13, 2020
Northwest AL
I think getting more traffic and focusing on Alabama would be the best idea.

Alabama needs a good gun forum and place to trade and communicate. With the censorship and a crackdown on gun owners a site like this is very important.

If you are a member of some group on Facebook or another forum/group, tell people about this place. I would rather help a fellow Alabamian than mark zuckerburg. Unhooking from the system and helping our friends instead of people that hate us is a big step in the right direction.

Mugi-wara

Established Member
Jan 3, 2022
NW Bama
I know I have only been here for a day, but the fact that this is an Alabama gun forum is what piqued my interest. There are plenty of other sites that cross state lines/ allow anyone from anywhere.

The "local" feel is appealing to me for many reasons.

mthebron man

Established Member
Jan 6, 2022
boaz al
Hey Guys,

Need your opinion.

Should I start to expand to other states like Flordia, Georgia, Tenn and Miss? I would change the name of the forum to include the area but just thinking about it.

1 vote per person, you can vote and give you opinion or just give the vote.
If you decide to expand please have a feature to search by state on classifieds. I prefer to stay in alabama and meet in person.

Bazookajor

Established Member
Dec 3, 2021
Dothan
Hey Guys,

Need your opinion.

Should I start to expand to other states like Flordia, Georgia, Tenn and Miss? I would change the name of the forum to include the area but just thinking about it.

Maybe add a new classifeds sections for interstate ffl stuff. I know florida gun trader is horribly buggy.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
You all have spoken and I will not be adding anything out of state.

I’m glad the Alabama part is appealing and give you a home to buy sell and trade guns.

Xero

Established Member
May 20, 2021
Auburn
Hey Guys,

Need your opinion.

I feel like this is going to open a whole new can of headaches that probably won't be worth it.

Qwill1234

Established Member
Jan 3, 2022
Hoover
I don't think it's a good idea it would just get lost in the pack of other gun forums. The Alabama market is a good niche it just needs a little more marketing to get the word out and get more people joining.

Trs

Established Member
Jun 5, 2021
Albany, Ga
No, I live in both Georgia and have property in Alabama, I enjoy the site the way it is. Outdoors traitor is big on censorship, and primarily focused on money, with a secondary of fraud and criminal sales.

DoyleAlley

Established Member
Sep 15, 2022
Rainbow City, Al
I belong to the Mississippi Gun Owners forum which is state-level but VERY active (much of which is off-topic), The Firing Line (a national forum), and half a dozen others. So, I don't lack for a national communications network. For this forum, I far prefer it to stay state-level and not compete with the other national forums with tens of thousands of active members.